I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream issue

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

RockNFknRoll

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream issue

Post by RockNFknRoll »

warning: there is a spoiler involved in this question!

First off, first time poster and I have to say that I am so incredibly grateful for ScummVM. I thought I'd never be able to play some of these games again.

okay here's the issue. I'm not sure if this is due to scummvm or if I'm missing something, but I'm almost certain it's a glitch. During Benny's scenario, I cannot ever give the fruit to the mother of the boy. According to all the walkthroughs I have found, you're supposed to give the fruit to the boy, talk to him, then go get another fruit and give it to the mom. But when I do that (and I've done it dozens of times now), the boy finishes eating the fruit before I can give it to her and she won't accept it. Sometimes it seems that by clicking "give fruit to mother" it automatically triggers the boy to finish right then. Sometimes he finishes before I can even leave to get another piece! By all accounts this isn't supposed to happen.

Is this happening for anyone else?? There's very little documentation or discussions about this game around the net that I can find, I'm really at a loss. I hope someone here can help me, I'm really enjoying the game so far. Thank you!
RockNFknRoll

Post by RockNFknRoll »

Another small technical issue I've found is that sometimes when you mess with inventory items, they'll come back looking like the psych profile book in the inventory, but they're still labeled correctly. This happened quite a bit during the Garrison scene for me. It didn't prohibit anything, but it was strange and threw me off a few times.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

This is normal behavior. If you try and give the fruit to the mother of the boy, she points you at the boy instead, asking to give it to him first. After you give the fruit to the boy, you are supposed to get ANOTHER fruit and give that one to the mother

As for the second issue with the items, there is a possible explanation as to why it might be happening, but unfortunately more information is needed to understand what's really going on (i.e. steps to reproduce the issue and preferably a savegame)
Desperado

Post by Desperado »

There are other glitches:

md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

@Desperado: I don't see any problem with the first screenshot

As for the issue in the second screenshot, it's an issue with screen fading. Please, read the forum rules (rule 3a) - no bug reports in the forums. Please submit this as a bug in our bug tracker, like all the other bugs are reported (check forum rule 3a), providing the necessary details, a savegame and how to reproduce the issue.
RockNFknRoll

Re: I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream issue

Post by RockNFknRoll »

md5 wrote:This is normal behavior. If you try and give the fruit to the mother of the boy, she points you at the boy instead, asking to give it to him first. After you give the fruit to the boy, you are supposed to get ANOTHER fruit and give that one to the mother
I'm sorry, I thought I made it very clear that that is exactly what I'm doing, and it never works.
RockNFknRoll wrote:According to all the walkthroughs I have found, you're supposed to give the fruit to the boy, talk to him, then go get another fruit and give it to the mom. But when I do that (and I've done it dozens of times now), the boy finishes eating the fruit before I can give it to her and she won't accept it. Sometimes it seems that by clicking "give fruit to mother" it automatically triggers the boy to finish right then. Sometimes he finishes before I can even leave to get another piece! By all accounts this isn't supposed to happen.
Cutlass

Post by Cutlass »

You have to try eating a fruit first, fail to do so, for the mother to then digest it for you? :-)

Edit: Also, after failing to eat the fruit, talk to the kid to ask him about it, and then give the fruit to the mother.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

That part works as intended, you need to do what Cutlass said. If you're still having issues, please submit a bug to our bug tracker
RockNFknRoll

Post by RockNFknRoll »

Cutlass you were right. I'm still totally confused, because I know I tried eating the fruit before but...oh well it worked. Thanks! sorry for wasting your guys' time