S&M Hit the Road Speech issues

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Allahcalypse

S&M Hit the Road Speech issues

Post by Allahcalypse »

Hello,

I hope I am doing this in the right place and if not, I apologize.

I have Sam & Max Hit the Road on SCUMMVM, Music works fine and sound effects, but the speech absolutely does not play. Any suggestions?

Thanks and God Bless
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Which version do you have? The floppy version or the CD version?
The floppy version does not have speech during the game, only during the intro
clem

Post by clem »

Do you get any error messages?
Does the speech work during the intro?
If not maybe there's something wrong with the data files (MONSTER.SOU contains the speech), you should try to re-copy it from the CD in that case.
Allahcalypse

Post by Allahcalypse »

It's definetly the CD (As I have the CD) and it definatly advertises having full speech. I went out of my way to get the speech one since I'm a later generation gamer and it helps me to have a talkie.

No error message, games works PERFECTLY, with music and all, just no speech.

How would I recopy them? Any other ideas?
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

Allahcalypse wrote:How would I recopy them?
ctrl+c ctrl+v
seubz

Post by seubz »

Browse to your CD and copy these files to a directory of your choice :
MONSTER.SOU
SAMNMAX.SM0
SAMNMAX.SM1

If your game works it means you have the two last files - MONSTER.SOU is the file containing the speech, so make sure it's present in the game directory.
Allahcalypse

Post by Allahcalypse »

Right on, I'll try re-copying it as soon as I get home.

I am worried because I'm pretty sure I did copy it correctly, along with the music files, but I'll try it and then let you guys know.

Thanks and Allah Bless
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

its possible that the CD is damaged or aged, therefore effecting the rate of successful reads. also the newer the CD drive may directly effect the success rates(or just a well made drive). this is only something to consider when using CD's as a permanent storage device.

so this behaviour is perfectly normal for a somewhat fragile medium. for best results keep them in a cold dark space.

software that does multiple passes of the same set of 0's and 1's would be the best way to insure the best % of data is read and copied, though this isn't free(unless you can find something to do it) or assured or indeed fast its somewhat effective imo. the only thing i know of that does this is 'iso buster' there's a free trial on the site(don't ask me the difference between paid version and free, i don't know)

for a complete failure of any data being copied(it seems reasonable, in your case) you should have been notified of a 'clinical disc read error?'.
in witch case disc cleaning and severe data recovery may be required, though it isn't 100% assured. and then searching for a new copy becomes a real prospect.

cleaning the disc, unless your desperate or confident, can be a bit scary, you could buy a disc doctor, but there are plenty of home solutions/remedies involving toothpaste and a *very* soft cloth using a very methodical inside to outside one-way method, again time consuming, but again effective.

while initially this started of as a reassurance post, due to my love of typing, it has turned into quite a depressing one. sorry, its the truth though.

really i wouldn't suggest doing strait away when you get home, only use the cleaning method as a last resort since you *could* do more damage if not done correctly.
Allahcalypse

Post by Allahcalypse »

Amazing !

While attempting to copy the files i moved them out of their folder and talkie times are here again !

And thanks to all you guys, one of the best forums I've seen. Fast, useful and correct !

Can you say donation ?
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

Allahcalypse wrote:Can you say donation ?
is that rhetorical?

i think the donations are down, but theres a link on the homepage
clem

Post by clem »

PsYcO wrote: i think the donations are down, but theres a link on the homepage
donating works fine (via paypal, button on the main page, lower right)