How to run ScummVM on a Nokia N73

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Isak

How to run ScummVM on a Nokia N73

Post by Isak »

Hello!
I'm sorry if this have been answered before, but I have used the search function and checked the FAQs, but I still don't find the answer.
My question is how to run ScummVM on Nokia N73. By reading the FAQs I understand that it is compatible with Symbian OS, but which one of them (there are two in the downloads list)?
And when I have downloaded the program, where do I put it in the phone? And do I need to install it before I put it in the phone, or is it possible to install the program when it's transfered to the phone, or do I even need to install it, or is it enough just to transfer it?
And where do I put (in which folder) the games later on, and do I need to convert them to another format, or is it just to transfer a rip (.bin/.iso) of the original copy?

Thanks for even making this possible, and I'm very happy if someone could answer me these questions. And again, sorry if this have been posted before.
clem

Post by clem »

Hi again.

According to wikipedia, the Nokia N73 is based on SymbianOS series 3, while the other download for UIQ (according to wikipedia, once again) seems to be intended exclusively for Ericsson and Motorola phones.

As for the datafiles, you'll need the same files as if you want to run it under windows ScummVM.

Then again I don't even have a symbian based phone so my guesses are probably as good as yours - have you tried trial and error?
Noelemahc

Post by Noelemahc »

You're apparently very new to this mobile phone stuff. You get the Series 60 version because that's what the Nokia phones use. UIQ is a Sony Ericsson and Motorola thing. You then use the Nokia Application Installer which is part of your Nokia PC Suite software to install the SIS file you'll download, that'll get ScummVM up and running on your phone.

Then, using the Phone Explorer, you copy game files into your phone memory (common sense suggests the memory card) as-is, and then define their locations in ScummVM the same way as you would in the PC version of ScummVM.

And no, you don't need the BIN/ISO (hello, Forum Rule #0!), you have to copy the actual game FILES.

P.S. Good thing my dad is a Nokia nut and has been using Nokia phones well over ten years now, huh? I still like Ericsson better.
clem

Post by clem »

Noelemahc wrote: And no, you don't need the BIN/ISO (hello, Forum Rule #0!), you have to copy the actual game FILES.
however, just mentioning bin/iso files doesn't mean that rule 0 automatically applies - there are emulators out there where you need to rip things to play them. I got BS2 for psx recently and to play it in an emulator I can either use the original CD or rip it to HD - but copying the files alone does not work.
Isak

Post by Isak »

Thanks to the kind answers from both of you! But basically, that means, that I put my Monkey Madness game into the cddrive on my computer, and then just drag the MI 1 folder to the desktop, and then drag that folder to the sd-card? Or even simpler, just drag it from the cd to the card directly?
Noelemahc

Post by Noelemahc »

Yes, but don't forget that to get in-game music for MI1, you'll also have to rip the audio tracks from the CD.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Noelemahc wrote:Yes, but don't forget that to get in-game music for MI1, you'll also have to rip the audio tracks from the CD.
ScummVM should be able to play the tracks directly from the CD, though I find compressed audio files to be much more convenient.
clem

Post by clem »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
Noelemahc wrote:Yes, but don't forget that to get in-game music for MI1, you'll also have to rip the audio tracks from the CD.
ScummVM should be able to play the tracks directly from the CD, though I find compressed audio files to be much more convenient.
you might have problems inserting the CD into a Nokia N73, though :p
Noelemahc

Post by Noelemahc »

clem wrote:you might have problems inserting the CD into a Nokia N73, though :p
My point exactly. Just one more piece of advice: for the Symbian version, OGGs are nicer than MP3s for some reason. At least for the UIQ. Beats me why, though.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

clem wrote: you might have problems inserting the CD into a Nokia N73, though :p
Yeah, I had forgotten we were discussing that specific platform. :)