Scary bits in Beneath a Steel Sky [spoilers, obviously]

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Robot_Maker20

Scary bits in Beneath a Steel Sky [spoilers, obviously]

Post by Robot_Maker20 »

Anyone else find certain parts of Beneath a Steel Sky to be very effective horror pieces, despite the game's slight vein of humour? The horde of dormant androids in the cathedral, or the bodies hidden in the basement lockers? (The fact that the ambient music cuts away in those bits leaving you in unaccustomed silence with only the howling of the wind is really effective, I find, especially after the almost jaunty midi tunes in other parts of the game). Perhaps it's these scenes' contrast with the rest of the game that gives them their power - you're a wanted man, but at least you feel somehow safe walking about the city in the sunlight with your robot pal. It's probably no coincidence that you don't even have your sidekick for support when you encounter the creepy sequences mentioned above.

I also feel that the game deserves some kind of award for absolutely the most visceral, flesh crawlingly best bloodcurdling scream ever recorded in a game - I'm referring, of course, to Foster's fate if you lose the final confrontation in the endgame. Gets me every time.
doc labyrinth

Post by doc labyrinth »

i wholeheartedly agree. playing that game at three in the morning in my basement made the dark walk upstairs to bed much scarier than normal. i also find the opening sequence quite cinematically effective, despite (or because of) the still frame approach.
Robot_Maker20

Post by Robot_Maker20 »

I actually prefer the floppy intro, for the music as much as anything else.
Noelemahc

Post by Noelemahc »

You're probably gonna laugh, but the most memorable horror about BaSS was... Reich's death. Starting from the meticulously animated steam coming from his excessive wound, to our eventual study of what made the man tick as we visit his house and dig around in his private stuff, as well as his software content via his ID card... But that's just silly me.

And, also, the ease with which death comes around out here. Anita will always be remembered fondly...