Issue with Resolutions and Black Borders

Post by Sp00kyFox »

hi dudes

to make the problem clear I post some screenshots:

scummvm, hq3x, without aspect ratio

scummvm, hq3x, aspect ratio

dosbox, hq3x, without aspect ratio, resolution 1680x1050

dosbox, hq3x, aspect ratio, resolution 1680x1050

in scummvm I can't choose a resolution directly (but in dosbox I can) so I get those really annoying black borders (top, buttom).
is there a possibility maybe with the configs of scummvm to solve the problem or @the devs to implement such a feature like in dosbox?

btw the problem doesn't appear with no scaler and hq2x. but I don't wanna miss hq3x.
Sp00kyFox

Post by Sp00kyFox »

well I suppose it isn't possible :roll:
so i will change my adventure-emu/vm to dosbox
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

It's the season, Christmas is coming, people go around to shop etc ;)

I'm not sure who knows enough about scalers to answer your question (I don't know enough to answer), but do expect slow replies during this period :)
Sp00kyFox

Post by Sp00kyFox »

yeah.. well I don't like chistmas ;-)

but as long as the problem exists it's not acceptable for me, so I will regularly check in for new updates but I will use dosbox and unz.

to specify the issue, I think the problem is, that scummvm don't additionally scale the image to fullscreen but leave it in it's "original" resolution (the one after the scaling from the options) or it scales it wrong to fullscreen.

my solution would be to implement (like I said) an option to select a fullscreen resolution so scummvm first scales the picture with the selected scaler (e.g. hq3x) and then additionally scales that picture with an easy scaler (like billinear filter) to the selected fullscreen resolution.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

ScummVM and DOSbox are two very different projects, you can't really compare them: ScummVM is a complete rewrite of a game's executable, with enhancements and bug fixes over the original, whereas DOSbox aims to emulate a DOS environment (thus, you run games from their original executable). You are free to use whichever you wish, just bear in mind that the aims of each project differ a lot and they do things in a very different way, each one with its own advantages and disadvantages. For an overview of ScummVM and what it offers, check here:
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/About

Out of curiosity, why do you run ScummVM at 1024x768 and DOSbox at 1680x1050? Different resolutions mean that results may vary. Do you run the games at full screen or windowed mode?

Also, the "not acceptable" stance is really not helping here. Each person handles a glitch he is experiencing as important, but there are so many issues and things to fix, we already have a lot of work as it is. Please file the bug you are experiencing in our bug tracker:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_i ... tid=418820
sanguinehearts

Post by sanguinehearts »

Asking for a request in this manner is not the politest of methods, To implement such a request would require one or more of the devs to spend a considerable amount of time writing and rewriting code to deal with this, and considering most of these games run fine fullscreen without scalers and were intended to run at certain resolutions its pretty impressive that we have what we have so far,

I'd say feel free to use dosbox, It isnt as easy to set up as ScummVM, but it is brilliant. But just bear in mind that ScummVM is a dedicated game engine rewrite. its also compatible with more platforms than dosbox.
It may not be of any use to you but the way it stands your mind is pretty made up anyway.

Merry Christmas
Sp00kyFox

Post by Sp00kyFox »

md5 wrote: Out of curiosity, why do you run ScummVM at 1024x768 and DOSbox at 1680x1050? Different resolutions mean that results may vary. Do you run the games at full screen or windowed mode?
cuz in dosbox I can and in scummvm I would but I can't.
I always run emus/vms in fullscreen mode and if possible in the native resolution of my lcd screen (1680x1050).
md5 wrote:Each person handles a glitch he is experiencing as important, but there are so many issues and things to fix, we already have a lot of work as it is. Please file the bug you are experiencing in our bug tracker.
well it doesn't seem like a bug to me but a missing feature, since this "problem" isn't a thing that only occurs with my system but with all lcd screen. so the bug tracker is definately not the right place for this topic I think.
sanguinehearts wrote: It may not be of any use to you but the way it stands your mind is pretty made up anyway.
that's right, this isn't a threat or a personal issue but a suggestion for a feature, since more and more users are using lcd screens and experiencing the same issue.. well which lead theam maybe to an other emu/vm like me.

see:
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php ... fullscreen

(hmm... some user in those threads are reporting that older versions of scummvm didn't suffer from this isse, maybe after all a bug?)
sanguinehearts wrote: Merry Christmas
yo thx, u2 dude!
Nagra

Post by Nagra »

Hi spooky,

this may not help you but could be an interesting information for you.

I run a mac and got a 23" cinema display with 16:10 aspect ratio.

When I select HQ3 in SCUMMVM in combination with fullscreen mode, the game fills the entire screen without any borders. Works the very same with every other scumm game exept comi (borders to the left and right).

Unfortunately I dont know how to make a screenshot during fullscreen mode, so I added some oldfashioned digi-fotos.

Happy holidays
nagra

Sp00kyFox

Post by Sp00kyFox »

zomg oO
which scummvm version do you use?
(maybe the bug/problem doesn't appear in the mac-version)

well thats really weird. but I don't think it's a problem with the scaliing of my LCD screen or with my graphic card, cuz in every other app witch doesn't support the native res. of my LCD, it scales absolutely correct and doesn't make such a nonsense.

like I said, with hq2x there isn't a problem. in fact the problem only occurs with 3x-scalers.
Sp00kyFox

Post by Sp00kyFox »

well I've got it.
the problem was that the resolutions 960x600 (960x720 with ar) aren't really standard res's in the drivers of LCDs or graphic card. I had to manually add them in my nvidia driver and now the graphic card scales the image correctly to fullscreen.

so I think thread can be closed.

thx for ur patience ;-)
Nagra

Post by Nagra »

scumm v. 0.10.0
intel mac with os 10.4
Nagra

Post by Nagra »

now get out of the internet and be with your family. Guybrush will wait :-)
Sp00kyFox

Post by Sp00kyFox »

Guybrush is my family 8)
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

...and next time, kindly keep a more polite tone in your posts ;)

As for feature requests, there is a feature request tracker

As for the resolution, I asked because the resolution you used seemed quite weird to me

In any case, the issue you were having is not a ScummVM problem and it's resolved, so everyone's happy 8)

Merry Christmas :D
Sp00kyFox

Post by Sp00kyFox »

md5 wrote:...and next time, kindly keep a more polite tone in your posts ;)
well.. no. we're not in a shop or something like that, I think an functional talk is appropriate in this area and that's what I did.
md5 wrote: Merry Christmas :D
yeah you too pal.