Broken Sword 1 Truck video sequence

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

desertfox

Broken Sword 1 Truck video sequence

Post by desertfox »

I've just finished broken sword 1 with scummvm v0.10.0 and the DXA movie pack. Everything worked perfect but there was one thing that drew my attention.

The video sequence before the bulls head wasn't played in fullscreen. I haven't played this game with the original movie files so I can't compare it ingame (and I don't feel like replaying the entire game until the bulls head :)). I've played the original video file (truck.mp2) with VLC player and I don't see black borders, so I suppose in the original version the sequence is full screen.

So my question, is this video sequence supposed to be with black borders or is there something wrong with the dxa file ? (or am I just wasting my time with futile details :))

Anyway thanks for this great program, next on the menu is Broken Sword 2.
clem

Post by clem »

Not all video files are in the same resolution. For smaller resolutions they are just displayed centered over a black background, hence the border.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Broken Sword 1 Truck video sequence

Post by eriktorbjorn »

desertfox wrote: So my question, is this video sequence supposed to be with black borders or is there something wrong with the dxa file ? (or am I just wasting my time with futile details :))
I didn't handle the re-encoding of the cutscenes, but I assume they are based on the ones in the smackshi directory on the original CD. These are generally 640x400 (some are 640x200, but with the "Y-doubled" flag to tell the player to double the height at playback), with two exceptions:

credits.smk - 480x300 pixels
truck.smk - 480x148 pixels (Y-doubled to 480x296)

That's why you're seeing black borders on that particular cutscene. The version in the smackslo directory is 320x100 pixels (Y-doubled to 320x200), so it's even worse.

(All this is based on header information in the Smacker files. I haven't tried to actually play them.)
desertfox

Post by desertfox »

Ok, that explains it all. Thanks for the fast answers.