No soundeffects when playing Sam and Max on W960i

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Infini7yx

No soundeffects when playing Sam and Max on W960i

Post by Infini7yx »

Everything is working great great on my Sony Ericsson W960i except for that I can't hear soundeffects, strange because I can hear the music and the voices. I'm using the latest Symbian version of ScummVM.

I'd be very glad if I could solve the problem.
Noelemahc

Post by Noelemahc »

Well, the music is MIDI, so it wouldn't be affected by the same problem in any case, but the fact that you DO have the voices but not sounds is kinda weird. I assume the mundane things like volume settings are all in order and were not accidentally altered without your knowledge?

Also, are you using a compressed MONSTER.SOU file or not? The Symbian port is behaving weird with compressed sounds (my W950i had issues with MP3-compressed sound, but OGG's only change from uncompressed was the load times).
Infini7yx

Post by Infini7yx »

Noelemahc wrote:Well, the music is MIDI, so it wouldn't be affected by the same problem in any case, but the fact that you DO have the voices but not sounds is kinda weird. I assume the mundane things like volume settings are all in order and were not accidentally altered without your knowledge?

Also, are you using a compressed MONSTER.SOU file or not? The Symbian port is behaving weird with compressed sounds (my W950i had issues with MP3-compressed sound, but OGG's only change from uncompressed was the load times).
Yeah I've got a Monster.Sou file. How do I encode it and which format should I choose?
Noelemahc

Post by Noelemahc »

You can use the ScummVM Tools, of course! They're all bundled with the Win32 version of ScummVM, at least, there's where I got them from. All are command-line tools, and there's even a nifty .TXT file to tell you which one does what.

OGG compression seems to work best on my W950i. Experimentation should tell you if it'll be the same for you.
Infini7yx

Post by Infini7yx »

Ok, so I found the tools. But when I start the choosen application (compress_scumm_sou in this case) it closes itself right after I start it. Do I have to navigate through CMD manually? Or do I just do anything wrong?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

compress_scumm_sou, and the other tools as well need parameters to work, so you need to run them from the command line
Infini7yx

Post by Infini7yx »

Thanks for the help! Everything is working properlyn now.
Scipio

Post by Scipio »

I have another question for the same game on the W950i.
I compressed the monster.sou to ogg, but know the speech and effects are out of sync - they are coming to late.

What could be the reason?
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Not even in the original game the sync is 100%, and due to the nature of a Symbian Phone, syncing audio and video is not the easiest task around, not that I know that ScummVM code are even trying to keep a 100ms audio/video sync. See it as a cartoon (which it is) :-)