Fascination support in GOB engine

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Dal

Fascination support in GOB engine

Post by Dal »

Subject speaks for itself really. Are there any plans to include support for Coktel Visions Fascination within SCUMMVM? I dug out my old PC version on floppy disks and installed it but it doesn't work :-(
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

I probably can set my watch by these requests by now... :roll:

Again: I'll first concentrate at the other Gob games, like Woodruff, Lost in Time, The Last Dynasty, Urban Runner, Inca 2, AJ's World of Discovery, the Addy games, .... I find them far more interesting. :)

Of course, if someone else wants to take on Fascination, that's their call and I'll be happy to answer specific questions regarding the engine.
Dal

Post by Dal »

Thanks - sorry for the lamer question. Incidentally I can supply the data files to a developer for testing purposes if required...
Noelemahc

Post by Noelemahc »

Dal, it's not about the lack of datafiles. It's the good Doctor's personal bias against this game because of its erotic content. And something that's been discussed about seventeen times already. Or thereabouts.

Incidentally, the game runs mighty fine under DosBox, so you could use that instead. Unless, of course, you were planning on playing the game on something other than a computer.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

Noelemahc wrote:It's the good Doctor's personal bias against this game because of its erotic content.
Well, yes and no.
I'm undecided about whether that game "fits" with ScummVM (and that's probably not my own to decide, I'd think that's something the whole team should reach a consent of sorts).
But that's completely irrelevant, because the bigger reason for me is that I don't really have that much of a connection with that game. So seeing that there a whole bunch of other games using the same engine, most of which I find far more interesting, I for the moment completely ignore Fascination, and the question it raises, and concentrate on these games. :)

Anyway, I don't really like to reopen public discussion here. So
1. I get the other games working first (when I find time with this stupid Uni going on as well, that is :wink:), when these are all fine and running, we'll see about Fascination
2. If someone else wants to dig into Fascination, I'm happy to answer question concerning the engine.
Collector

Post by Collector »

DrMcCoy wrote:Again: I'll first concentrate at the other Gob games, like Woodruff, Lost in Time, The Last Dynasty, Urban Runner, Inca 2, AJ's World of Discovery, the Addy games, .... I find them far more interesting. :)
I think that you will find far more interest from Coktel Vision fans in the games you mention. Those titles are generally more available, too, than the relatively obscure Fascination. While I would like support for all Gob games, eventually, Fascination and Geisha would be at the bottom of my list, too.
Dal

Post by Dal »

DOSBOX might well be the way forward by the sounds of it. Thanks for the replies and a huge amount of thanks for releasing software that has allowed me to relive the Monkey Island series (apart from Escape from Monkey Island of course!)