I HAVE NO MOUTH AND I MUST SCREAM

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

BOT7

I HAVE NO MOUTH AND I MUST SCREAM

Post by BOT7 »

so, i have the uncensored english version - but is it possible to get it german?

(like uncut-patches, making games the us-version with german subtitles)
[/b]
Higgins

Post by Higgins »

I guess you must buy the german version.

But why would you want to do such a thing?
Noelemahc

Post by Noelemahc »

So that non-english speaking german-speaking people could play the game in its entirety without missing all the stuff that got censored out (which, IIRC, was a LOT, including a godly portion of the Nazi-referencing episode).
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

The German version is missing one of the 5 characters (Nimdok), which is a lot of content missing (as there are direct references to the second world war, some of them unpleasant).

It *may* be possible (though it's untested) to copy the German voice files over the English ones and have German speech with the English version, but of course there will be English speech in Nimdok's chapter. Also, it is possible to edit the text strings of the English version itself so that they can be translated in German - this has been done in the fanmade Italian translation
BOT7

Post by BOT7 »

md5 wrote:The German version is missing one of the 5 characters (Nimdok), which is a lot of content missing (as there are direct references to the second world war, some of them unpleasant).

It *may* be possible (though it's untested) to copy the German voice files over the English ones and have German speech with the English version, but of course there will be English speech in Nimdok's chapter. Also, it is possible to edit the text strings of the English version itself so that they can be translated in German - this has been done in the fanmade Italian translation
Thanks a lot - but how could i do that?
Whats the name of the textfiles?
Or - Do you have some contacts for me - so i can ask them by my own?

HIGGINS (that guy from MAGNUM) asked: why i wanna do that. Because of getting more atmosphere. it´s more easy to reading german texts for a german. getting the sense of something is not he same as to be localized.
BOT7

right

Post by BOT7 »

Noelemahc wrote:So that non-english speaking german-speaking people could play the game in its entirety without missing all the stuff that got censored out (which, IIRC, was a LOT, including a godly portion of the Nazi-referencing episode).
-------------------------

yes, absolutely. this censored german version could even not be finished sometimes! (because of its cutting)

so (like in nearly every new game) as a german user you have to get the austrian versions (our neighbours are spaeking german too - and sometimes the get extra uncensored versions) or the american ones (and then make the english game with "german patches" german again - uncut.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

For the speech files, it should be relatively easy: you can install the English version and copy over all the speech files from the German one (i.e. voicess.res, voices1.res, voices2.res, voices3.res, voices5.res and voices6.res).

Note that this is not tested at all, nor will any support be given for such a modification. If the number of speech samples in the English and German versions is exactly the same, it will work, if not it won't.

glorfindel did the Italian fan translation of IHNM, you can get in contact with him on how it was done
SimSaw

Post by SimSaw »

[quote="BOT7"]this censored german version could even not be finished sometimes![/quote]

Sometimes? So it's possible to finsish the German version? I asked already in another topic if it's impossible to finish the game, because Nimdock needs to bring some special items, establish a special condition... whatever - to make it possible to win.

I'm actually not in favour of uncensored/uncut patches because they undergo the German laws. I think we don't need nazi stuff in a German version of a game. Too bad the censoring of the game was so bad that it influenced the playability. If the programmers would have occupied more with this cultural problem, there might have been a better solution.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

SimSaw wrote: I'm actually not in favour of uncensored/uncut patches because they undergo the German laws. I think we don't need nazi stuff in a German version of a game.
Just out of curiosity, what is it that these laws forbid? Obviously, portrayal of nazis is allowed in some cases, at least, or there wouldn't have been the movie Der Untergang a few years ago.
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

The French version is also censored like the German one (utter nonsense), and I was told that it's perfectly possible to finish the game without Nimdok. I don't remember the specifics though.

Erik... Personally, I prefer Der Untersim :D
clem

Post by clem »

eriktorbjorn wrote:Just out of curiosity, what is it that these laws forbid? Obviously, portrayal of nazis is allowed in some cases, at least, or there wouldn't have been the movie Der Untergang a few years ago.
Well, it's not unlawful in the strict sense to create game/movies with references to Nazi Germany. However a government agency (link is in English) exists to rate media whether they are a harm to the youth (ideologically or due to violence, etc)

Things put on a list by them may not be advertised or sold to minors - a death blow to videogames, which are (or were at that time?) mainly aimed at the youth. (The list includes games like Mortal Kombat, Doom or the original Wolfenstein 3D - even German eBay shoots down your auctions if you try to sell those)

Therefore the publishers go ahead and censor the games so that they comply with the rating comission in the first place - German Indy3 (game) is missing swastikas, C&C1 has "robots" with grey "blood", and so on. (The Indiana Jones movies show nazi flags without problems, though.)

Displaying Swastikas in video games in itself would be another problem, since the display of logos of forbidden organizations is prohibited generally in Germany (German Wikipedia entry)

Maybe the Nazi-content in IHNM would have been permitted if they had made clear some educational goals, but I doubt they even tried.
SimSaw

Post by SimSaw »

One of these laws states that symbols against the German constitution are forbidden (e.g. nazi svastikas), unless they are used for arts (which TV is considered, computer games not, because they are considered to be entertaining products only). Also it is forbidden to glorrify the nazi time. I read some argumentation that svastikas are just not allowed in computer games because the pressure group isn't big enough for these in comparison to TV.

One example for confiscation due to glorrifying nazi time was one of the first 3D ego shooters.

Kaminari: Not nice what you post here, also your link (isn't this actually violating forum rule #0?).

The French censored version seems to have been taken as a base for the German localisation. I read that in the German version are still little French speech segments.
clem

Post by clem »

SimSaw wrote:Kaminari: Not nice what you post here, also your link (isn't this actually violating forum rule #0?).
While I can't hear the audio here at the pc lab, the youtube video seems to be a parody of Der Untergang. Whether or not parodies are tasteful or appropriate can be debated; as for the legal aspect, copyright law allows the use of parts of the original for satirical purposes/parodies. (The industry, of course, has a different opinion), so I don't think that youtube link violates rule #0.

We're getting off-topic, though :)
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

SimSaw wrote:Kaminari: Not nice what you post here, also your link (isn't this actually violating forum rule #0?).
:?:

I won't ask you to elaborate because we'd get off-topic, but can't you recognize a parody (whether you like it or not)?

And what has it to do with Forum Rule #0? Unless I'm mistaken, you can't download Flight Simulator X by following this link. Is Der Untersim politically incorrect because it makes fun of Hitler and Microsoft? I suppose, yes. But if you were suggesting that the whole content of YouTube is illegal material, I suggest you talk about it with them, not me.

Anyway, let's move on to more serious matters.
SimSaw wrote:The French censored version seems to have been taken as a base for the German localisation. I read that in the German version are still little French speech segments.
That makes the situation all the more puzzling, because I fail to see why the French version would have been censored prior to being translated into German. I can (somehow) understand why the German public could have been offended by the character of Nimdok, but in France it was precisely his removal that irked the public. As an adult gamer, I certainly felt offended.
BOT7

Post by BOT7 »

Kaminari wrote:
:?:

I won't ask you to elaborate because we'd get off-topic, but can't you recognize a parody (whether you like it or not)?

And what has it to do with Forum Rule #0? Unless I'm mistaken, you can't download Flight Simulator X by following this link. Is Der Untersim politically incorrect because it makes fun of Hitler and Microsoft? I suppose, yes. But if you were suggesting that the whole content of YouTube is illegal material, I suggest you talk about it with them, not me.

Anyway, let's move on to more serious matters.
SimSaw wrote:The French censored version seems to have been taken as a base for the German localisation. I read that in the German version are still little French speech segments.
That makes the situation all the more puzzling, because I fail to see why the French version would have been censored prior to being translated into German. I can (somehow) understand why the German public could have been offended by the character of Nimdok, but in France it was precisely his removal that irked the public. As an adult gamer, I certainly felt offended.
it´s like RESIDENT EVIL 4 fpr the pc. they took the ps2-version (instead of the gamecube-version)

the version of the gamecube is better (textures, effects, eg. ) because of more memory.

why the use the ugly version of this great game to make the pc software is a mystery.

But back to question: does anybody know how i can change the english texts into german ones?