Lure of the Temptress - NO SOUND

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

zerocool1690

Lure of the Temptress - NO SOUND

Post by zerocool1690 »

So I downloaded Lure of the Temptress and put it into Scummvm but there is no sound AT ALL no matter what I try! Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how can I fix it??
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Lure of the Temptress - NO SOUND

Post by eriktorbjorn »

zerocool1690 wrote:So I downloaded Lure of the Temptress and put it into Scummvm but there is no sound AT ALL no matter what I try! Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how can I fix it??
Do you get sound if you change the Music driver setting to Adlib? If so, it's probably a MIDI-related problem. (ScummVM emulates AdLib, so it's played as any other digitized sound.) You don't mention which operating system you're running, but the most common MIDI problem under Windows that I've seen is that its Synthesizer volume setting is at zero.
zerocool1690

Post by zerocool1690 »

I tried turning the Synthesizer volume up and the sound works now! Still though, its just basic MIDI without any sound effects. Am I still doing something wrong? Because I've just been playing the Amiga version using WINUAE and in that version there is full sound effects! Dripping water, doors closing, dogs barking, etc. Surely the PC version would be more advanced than the Amiga version??
clem

Post by clem »

zerocool1690 wrote:Surely the PC version would be more advanced than the Amiga version??
When lure was released PC and Amiga were pretty much on par regarding gfx, and I believe Amiga had the better sound, so I it wouldn't surprise me if DOS lure has fewer sound effects than the amiga version.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

zerocool1690 wrote:I tried turning the Synthesizer volume up and the sound works now! Still though, its just basic MIDI without any sound effects.
From what I understand, the game uses MIDI for sound effects, as well, which don't sound very good. I haven't played the game much (I've escaped from the prison, and that's about it), but when playing in DOSbox it seems the Adlib sound effects are much better than the MIDI ones. Unfortunately, ScummVM doesn't support them yet.
zerocool1690

Post by zerocool1690 »

Hey its cool. I'm not complaining, I was just wondering. Thought maybe I had done something wrong! Thanks for all your help.
clem

Post by clem »

I/You/someone could check by just running DOS Lure in dosbox and see how much it differs from ScummVM
zerocool1690

Post by zerocool1690 »

I'll give it a try. I'll post my results in afew minutes. :D
zerocool1690

Post by zerocool1690 »

Tried it through DOSBOX and there's not much of a difference. Music seems slightly better. Still no sound effects though! Unfortunately the Amiga version seems far more advanced in the sound department. I'll be playing it through Scummvm though because the loading times are alot faster. I'm going to continue to search online for a Dos version with full sound.
clem

Post by clem »

zerocool1690 wrote:I'm going to continue to search online for a Dos version with full sound.
I'm afraid you won't find one for download - I have tried to dig up all different Lure versions online, and all of them are similar and supported by ScummVM. Even the CD version is just the floppy files put on a CD.

(I think the US release isn't in ScummVM yet, but apparently only one intro screen (publisher) is different)
zerocool1690

Post by zerocool1690 »

Yeah I think you may be right. I've been looking online all day but haven't had any luck. Check out this link though, http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=HxJLMsIDork

It proves what I've been saying about the difference in sound between the DOS and Amiga versions.
fac

Post by fac »

zerocool1690 wrote:Yeah I think you may be right. I've been looking online all day but haven't had any luck. Check out this link though, http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=HxJLMsIDork

It proves what I've been saying about the difference in sound between the DOS and Amiga versions.
Like many other games released in 1991-1993 the Amiga version has better music, but uses less colors. Besides the better music, the Amiga version has some efects that the PC version don't have. In the video (3:17) there is a lightning which is not present in the PC version. I captured some pictures to illustrate this differences:

PC version:

Amiga version (left: normal / right: with lightning):
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Thanks for posting the comparison. I can confirm that on the PC version all sound effects are implemented as MIDI, so it's not surprising that sound was enhanced when they made the Amiga version.

For the forseeable future, ScummVM isn't likely to support the Amiga version, though.. the source code we have is for the PC version, and is written entirely in assembly language - it must have been a major effort to reimplement the game for the Amiga originally. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with the Amiga, so I wouldn't be able to easily reverse engineering the Amiga version.

But if anyone wants to give it a try in the future, they have my blessings to extend the Lure engine to support it.
fac

Post by fac »

dreammaster:

Thanks for the hard work with Lure.
Since it is very difficult to support the Amiga version, would it be possible (this is not a fearture request) ScummVM support the Amiga sounds/music in the PC version? Then we could get the best of both versions. Since some developers have good relations with Revolution, maybe they could ask permission for this change (and maybe ask if Revolution has the sound and music files from the Amiga version).
clem

Post by clem »

fac wrote:Since some developers have good relations with Revolution, maybe they could ask permission for this change (and maybe ask if Revolution has the sound and music files from the Amiga version).
They already got all Revolution could give - it's extreme luck they could even find the original source somewhere.