Problems retaining games list on R4DS

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

barryd

Problems retaining games list on R4DS

Post by barryd »

Firstly congrats on a fantastic tool. I love the old Lucasarts adventures and I cant wait to play them again on my DS. However I am running into problems before I get started. I can Add the games to ScummVM 11a and adjust settings just fine. I can play the games with the sound exactly as I want. However for some reason the lists of added games (and also my saved games) just vanish. That is to say it will be fine when I finish playing and then the next time I go to play there is nothing there. The games list is empty and the saved games are gone. I may have played other games from the R4 outside of Scummvm in the interim. I cant see any pattern to the problem. Has anyone seen this before? Is there a recommended folder structure for the game data, or does this really make no difference at all?

Additionally just an aside question. What are the differences between the a,b,c etc revisions?

Any help much appreciated (I need to find the secret of Monkey IslandTM :wink: !)

B
tomten

Re: Problems retaining games list on R4DS

Post by tomten »

barryd wrote:However for some reason the lists of added games (and also my saved games) just vanish.
This never happened to me (using DS-X). After a vanish, is the scumm .ini file missing from the root of your device? And are the save games missing as well (they're stored in individual files)?
clem

Re: Problems retaining games list on R4DS

Post by clem »

barryd wrote: Additionally just an aside question. What are the differences between the a,b,c etc revisions?
Different games supported by each?
http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com/#whichgames
barryd

Post by barryd »

Cheers tomten, I'll check when it next happens and post back what I see.

Clem, thanks for that. Kind of like pointing out the obvious - apologies for the stupid question!
tomten

Post by tomten »

barryd wrote:apologies for the stupid question!
It's not a stupid question, it's just stupid not to search before you post ;] http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=5167
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Have you tried the older version 0.10.0a?

If not, download it here, and let me know if you have the same problem.

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/scum ... p?download
barryd

Post by barryd »

Cheers. I'll give it a go and report back...
johnzo

Post by johnzo »

Also, do you have the latest R4 firmware? Whenever I launch a scummvm*.nds file (or any nds file) for the first time, the R4 interface asks me if it wants to create a save file for that .nds file. You can click yes, ignore or cancel. I would make sure to click yes when this happens. Also when browsing your memory card, don't delete the extra files it creates, there should be at least 1 extra file per .nds file. It's possible if the R4 doesn't make this sav file for the scumm nds file it won't save your settings/games properly. Just a thought. Good luck!
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

None of the options given by the R4 loader should make any difference, since ScummVM doesn't use that method to save.

I borrowed an M3 DS Simply today (because it's hardware is meant to be almost exactly the same as an R4) and put R4 DS firmware on it. Then I ran ScummVM on it and it worked perfectly, remembering the game list fine.

Does anyone else with an R4 want to comment on this problem? If it work fine for you, please post!
barryd

Post by barryd »

Hi Guys

Thanks for the responses. Apologies for the delay in getting back to you with useful info. Been offline for a while. While looking at the problem I noticed I had an old version of the R4 kernel (1.11). I upgraded this to the latest version (1.15) and fingers crossed it has been ok since. Thats about 4 or 5 days so far. Previously it hadn't lasted this long. I continue to backup my game saves and ini file just in case but hopefully I can continue enjoying these classic games on my DS!

Thanks again for the assistance from what is clearly a very accomplished community.

B