Compress ratio: The Dig and Full Throttle

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Jacks

Compress ratio: The Dig and Full Throttle

Post by Jacks »

Hi everybody!!

I am a newbie in the forums (not in ScummVM nor in the Graphic Adventure). Since a week, i have a project to make a DVD to have all my Scumm classic games in one DVD, so i have entered in the compression's world :D

I have compressed already:

Indy4 (CD Talkie version + Spanish traslate): I used the Scumm Tools to compress monster.sou to monster.so3 (it's easier for me to use LAME, and the speech it's no so quality to realize the possible compression less.) No problem with that: 67.8 MB.

SamnMax (Cd Talkie Version): Idem. 69.6 MB

Tentacle (Cd Talkie Version): Idem. 93.5 MB

Monkey 1 (CD audio Version): I compressed the CD tracks to MP3 (128): 48.1 MB

Loom (CD Talkie version + Poor Spanish Traslate :( ): I compressed the CD tracks to MP3 (160), with a lot of problems at audio extract (Scratched CD :() 66.1 MB

And now, the question:

The Dig (CD): Compressed with the puntloos utils
( http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php ... l+throttle )

Ratio 600 MB --> 248 MB (great!!)

Full Throttle (CD): Compressed already with puntloos utils:

Ratio 342 MB --> 280 MB :(

I have seen that a lot of .san files have already an .ogg version (for example 2009_10.SAN 2009_10.ogg). And, when i have tried to delete all that 'dulpicate' files, but then the intro was not correct, for example.
Is everything OK? Have I do something wrong?

Thanks a lot in advance, and congratulations for this forum and for the unbelievable work you do with ScummVM.

Thanks again.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Compress ratio: The Dig and Full Throttle

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Jacks wrote: I have seen that a lot of .san files have already an .ogg version (for example 2009_10.SAN 2009_10.ogg). And, when i have tried to delete all that 'dulpicate' files, but then the intro was not correct, for example.
Is everything OK? Have I do something wrong?
I believe the .ogg file only contains the audio, while the .san file still contains the video, i.e. both are needed.
Jacks

Post by Jacks »

Thanks a lot for the reply :D
So... Full Throttle can not be more compressed, isn't it? What a pitty!
clem

Post by clem »

Jacks wrote:So... Full Throttle can not be more compressed, isn't it? What a pitty!
I guess it should be possible to "tweak" the audio bitrate, ie smaller bitrate = smaller files, worse quality

see the docs for the compression tools for more info
Jacks

Post by Jacks »

Oh no! I don't want to lose quality at all ...
I only wanted to know if I was doing something wrong.

Thanks a lot!!
noize

Post by noize »

The compression rate isn't comparable with the Dig.

The Dig contains a .bun file for the music which is compressable,
where in the music of Full Throttle is included in the standard .la1 resource file.

This file isn't compressible yet, so it's a little bit bigger than the rest of the games, while compresed.
Jacks

Post by Jacks »

Ey!

Thanks for the reply ;)

I have re-compressed some titles (the ones with CD tracks), to gain space and maybe quality:

Loom (Talkie CD version):

I have recompressed with Ogg Vorbis 1.0 at VBR 160 Kbps. I don't know what is better: VBR or ABR, but variable bit rate it is more commmon so ...

About quality ... I do not feel anything different to MP3 160 Kbps ...

About space: i have gain about 18 MB.

The Secret of Monkey Island (Cd version)

Idem. I have lost 6 MB (because the lst encode was at 128 kbps). In quality ... well, i don't feel anthing different ... but maybe someone could notize!!

Thanks a lot again
alckras

Post by alckras »

thanks man, very usefull for me.
noize

Post by noize »

Inside the file THROTTLE.001 is a lot of audio present, like all digital tracks. This file is not compressed, so the compression differences lies only in speech (monster.sou), and video files.