I'm here to thank and help.

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Vandek

I'm here to thank and help.

Post by Vandek »

Hey there.

This is my first post here.

First of all, THANK YOU VERY MUCH - SCUMMVM Team - for your work!

Despite I knew of ScummVM, never tried that before but now, can't stop playing.

Thanks to you, I can play again my longlost beloved Point and Click Adventures! I can't barely express how happy I am for being able to play those classics again! I've just beat "The Secret of Monkey Island" right now to watch both endings on Xbox.

I couldnt believe when I could play not just the DOS games on Scumm, but also "The Curse of Monkey Island" perfecly (on Xbox).

All supported games I own worked perfecly on Xbox (at least seem so, didnt play longtime all of them), but "The Curse of Monkey Island" has just a little problem on Linux:

Despite gameplay works perfectly, video animations have no sound. I thought that was something related to codecs cos' those videos were made for Windows, but the weird stuff is that very first video right after the difficulty selection - the CMI logo - works with sound, besides that, nothing to say. All perfect.

Do you guys know how to solve this problem?

Applying the same configuration (folders paths) on XboX port of ScummVM, game works perfecly (including video with sound).

Still I ask for your permission to make two suggestions:

1- Even applying video filters on XboX, the best we can get from that is just to lose one letter at each margin (on a 4:3 TV Set). It seems game screen one inch larger than the TV screen. Would be possible to make games screen resizeable?

2- To make "Full Throttle" videos be played on XboX port, I needed to move all content of the folder VIDEO to the DATA one but still kept the empty folder VIDEO there, besides pointing to DATA in "Extra Path" configuration. I don'k know how many games contain more than one folder inside RESOURCE one, but maybe you could add one or two more extra paths to be set in games configuration.

As I said before, your work is just worth of compliments and I thank you very much for that.

I also offer to support ScummVM as a "tester" for Linux and XboX platforms, if you need me to.

Vdk.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: I'm here to thank and help.

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Vandek wrote: Despite gameplay works perfectly, video animations have no sound. I thought that was something related to codecs cos' those videos were made for Windows, but the weird stuff is that very first video right after the difficulty selection - the CMI logo - works with sound, besides that, nothing to say. All perfect.
The CMI logo isn't a cutscene movie, so you cannot draw any conclusions from that, I'm afraid.

I don't know why the audio wouldn't work in the cutscene movies. Did you compress the .san files, or are you using the original ones? (I'm guessing the latter, since that's easier.)
Vandek

Post by Vandek »

I'm using the original ones, actually I dont know anything about compressing those files.

Vdk.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Vandek wrote:I'm using the original ones, actually I dont know anything about compressing those files.
Though so, but compressing is the only way I know of to lose the sound, since it splits the original .san file into one file for video and one for audio. I don't have an X-Box so I'm afraid I have no ideas whatsoever about problems specific to that version. Do you get sound if you play it on an ordinary computer?
Vandek

Post by Vandek »

Xbox port works perfectly as if I was playing on a PC / Windows machine.

The only problem is on my ordinary PC with Debian Lenny and its just playing the video cutscenes, otherwise, game works fine too and the .san files are there, no compression at all.

Actually I used same source to install on both machines (PC and XBOX).

XboX works perfectly, but PC with Debian Linux plays video with no sound.

Vdk.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Vandek wrote: XboX works perfectly, but PC with Debian Linux plays video with no sound.
Odd. I'm running unstable Debian, and I've never noticed any problem with the cutscene audio. The volume is controlled by the SFX Volume setting, but if the problem is that this is set too low (which seems pretty far-fetched to me), you wouldn't hear any sound effects in the game either, e.g. Wally firing the cannon.
Vandek

Post by Vandek »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
Vandek wrote: XboX works perfectly, but PC with Debian Linux plays video with no sound.
Odd. I'm running unstable Debian, and I've never noticed any problem with the cutscene audio. The volume is controlled by the SFX Volume setting, but if the problem is that this is set too low (which seems pretty far-fetched to me), you wouldn't hear any sound effects in the game either, e.g. Wally firing the cannon.
Yes, it's really weird. I sure can listen to everything but the cutscenes, even Wally firing the cannon and dialogs.

Vdk.
Vandek

Post by Vandek »

I still can't figure out how to play COMI on Linux with sound in cutscenes.

Any idea?

I also would like to make another suggestion:
Could you please add the function keys (F1 to F10) to the virtual keyboard? Ex.: I can't play "Simon the Sorcerer" on Xbox port becaust the function keys aren't mapped. Even if I choose "Speech and Subtitles", subtitles are not shown.

Thanks

Vdk.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Vandek wrote:I still can't figure out how to play COMI on Linux with sound in cutscenes.

Any idea?
No new ideas, no. Out of curiosity, how large is that opening.san file of yours?
I also would like to make another suggestion:
Could you please add the function keys (F1 to F10) to the virtual keyboard? Ex.: I can't play "Simon the Sorcerer" on Xbox port becaust the function keys aren't mapped. Even if I choose "Speech and Subtitles", subtitles are not shown.
Are you talking about the English talkie version of Simon the Sorcerer 1? That one doesn't have any subtitles that ScummVM can display. I don't remember the function keys being required for playing the Simon games, though F10 (show hotspots) is pretty nice.
Vandek

Post by Vandek »

Yes, thats the english version of Simon the Sorcerer, thanks.

Still about Simon Sorcerer, I cant access the menu pressing "BACK" button on XboX controller such as I do on all other games. Without this I cant save my game.

Well, my opening.san is 33,2mb (English version).

Vdk.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Vandek wrote: Well, my opening.san is 33,2mb (English version).
That's approximately the size of mine, after I compress it, and that process extracts the sound to a separate file. Before compressing it, it's about 80 MB. Try copying the original files from your CDs again.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Vandek wrote: Still about Simon Sorcerer, I cant access the menu pressing "BACK" button on XboX controller such as I do on all other games. Without this I cant save my game.
In Simon the Sorcerer, you have to use the postcard to access the menu. (It says so if you examine it. Calypso's note might mention it too, but I don't have the time to check right now.)
Vandek

Post by Vandek »

I'll try COMI files right now.

Thanks a lot.

Vdk.
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

Vandek wrote:I'm using the original ones, actually I dont know anything about compressing those files.
Vandek wrote:Well, my opening.san is 33,2mb (English version).
Did you download the game then?
Vandek

Post by Vandek »

Thanks, man.

I replaced the .san files for mine PT-BR ones and worked perfectly.

Vdk.