Broken Sword 1 Playstation?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

DaVince

Broken Sword 1 Playstation?

Post by DaVince »

Hello everyone,

I have Broken Sword 1 for the Playstation 1, but it won't work in ScummVM in Windows. It finds the game, but doesn't start it (it gives a file-not-found error).

Are Playstation 1 games not supported by ScummVM? Or is there something I have to do before being able to play the game?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Broken Sword 1 Playstation?

Post by eriktorbjorn »

DaVince wrote:Hello everyone,

I have Broken Sword 1 for the Playstation 1, but it won't work in ScummVM in Windows. It finds the game, but doesn't start it (it gives a file-not-found error).

Are Playstation 1 games not supported by ScummVM? Or is there something I have to do before being able to play the game?
Only the Windows versions are supported. As far as I know, none of the developers have any other versions, so we don't know how they differ.
DaVince

Post by DaVince »

I was lucky enough to find a copy of BS1 for the PS1 for only €10 at a second-hand games store, but that store doesn't exist anymore. Otherwise I would have donated another copy of BS1 PS1 for you people, probably. :)

Too bad there's no PS1 support... It runs at a weird variable speed on my PSX, so I wanted to try it on the PC. But I guess that's out of the question for the moment.
Thanks for the quick answer.
Dark-Star

Post by Dark-Star »

Just an idea:

Maybe you could borrow your CD to one of the devs who might be willing to look at it?
clem

Post by clem »

simplest way would be to pick up BS1 for PC somewhere - I got it like 3 times now, cheapest one cost me 50 (Euro)cent at a 2ndhand store

adding support for the Playstation version might be more work than it's worth - afaik PS1 has 320x240 resolution whereas the PC version is 640x480 already. It could also be that the image data is saved differently and adding support for that would be even more work.

I think that's the same reason why the Amiga version of FOTAQ isn't supported - the game is identical, the gfx look worse and the demand is low.

clem
ZombieBrains

Post by ZombieBrains »

the playstation port would be an ideal inclusion into ScummVm because it looks worse, the lower resolution would allow it to be played on symbian devices, as many can't handle the resolution of broken sword and Comi, thus finally allowing the opportunity of playing broken sword on the move,
A600

Post by A600 »

Many thanks to hkz for adding the Broken Sword 1 and 2 PSX versions to ScummVM!

Will it support the stream video files? If not, could the the .dxa videos be resized to match the lower resolution?
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

A600 wrote:If not, could the the .dxa videos be resized to match the lower resolution?
BS1 PSX still runs at 640x480. And, why would you want to have lower resolution videos?
A600

Post by A600 »

clone2727 wrote:BS1 PSX still runs at 640x480. And, why would you want to have lower resolution videos?
Yes, you're right. I always thought that BS for PSX had a 320x240 resolution.
raina

Post by raina »

eriktorbjorn wrote:Only the Windows versions are supported.
AFAIR my DOS version plays fine.

EDIT: Oops. "2005."
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

raina wrote: AFAIR my DOS version plays fine.
I didn't even know there was a DOS version. (MobyGames mentions one, but Revolution's own web page is a bit vague on the subject.)
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

A600 wrote:Many thanks to hkz for adding the Broken Sword 1 and 2 PSX versions to ScummVM!
When did this happen?
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Red_Breast wrote:
A600 wrote:Many thanks to hkz for adding the Broken Sword 1 and 2 PSX versions to ScummVM!
When did this happen?
BS1 PSX was added a few weeks ago, BS2 PSX was added a few days ago.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

I should of realized. I remember a lot of sword1 activity a few weeks back and sword 2 earlier when updating trunk.

I was introduced to Broken Sword on the Playstation.
raina

Post by raina »

eriktorbjorn wrote: I didn't even know there was a DOS version. (MobyGames mentions one, but Revolution's own web page is a bit vague on the subject.)
I don't know about other versions but the DOS installer is very atmospheric using the game GUI and having background music. You even get to play a simple game of breakout while the game installs except it's really hard because the CD access causes tons of skipped frames. ;)