The Bizarre Adventures Of Woodruff And The Schnibble

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

timofonic

Post by timofonic »

Laserschwert wrote:
3Yenman3 wrote:Real life? You mean that thing between ScummVM? Oh I hate that, all the puzzles suck, its so bad I think I'll just stop playing...
But the graphics are AWESOME!
I prefer 2D graphics or minimalist 3D :)
eriktorbjorn wrote:
saulob wrote: Or maybe, is this Abandonware, where can I download ? :D
At the time of writing, the only freely available games for ScummVM are Beneath a Steel Sky and Flight of the Amazon Queen.
And what about Lure of the Tempress? :)
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

The Madventurer wrote:
eriktorbjorn wrote: At the time of writing, the only freely available games for ScummVM are Beneath a Steel Sky and Flight of the Amazon Queen.
In June '07? (Hint: at the time of writing) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Eugene
timofonic

Post by timofonic »

sev wrote:
The Madventurer wrote:
eriktorbjorn wrote: At the time of writing, the only freely available games for ScummVM are Beneath a Steel Sky and Flight of the Amazon Queen.
In June '07? (Hint: at the time of writing) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Eugene
What? I didn't think people bumped old posts so commonly :P

Sorry a lot...
gord

Post by gord »

y'kknow what would be great if this gets supported, some sort of fan-sub for it, the fact that this game is fully voiced with no subtitles used to really bug me back in the day
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

gord wrote:y'kknow what would be great if this gets supported, some sort of fan-sub for it, the fact that this game is fully voiced with no subtitles used to really bug me back in the day
you sound like the right man/woman for the job then.
bardonodude

Post by bardonodude »

so is this game still on hold because you guys have hit a wall? If so, let me know if I could help in any way.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

bardonodude wrote:so is this game still on hold because you guys have hit a wall? If so, let me know if I could help in any way.
Yes, there are some struggles on VMD format. Any clues?

Eugene
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

sev wrote:Yes, there are some struggles on VMD format.
To be more specific, I already figured out that VMDs are stuffed into objects when the playVMD()-Opcode gets a negative lastFrame-variable (for -3 and a few others, at least), so that the individual frames are played/drawn by the Scenery::updateAnim() during Mult::animate() (yes, I do consider that to be really hacky ;)).
The problem I have right now is that drawing position isn't exactly right. It's directly aligned with the tile the object is resting upon, ignoring the "feet"/anchor position of the sprite. For normal image based sprites, that anchor is stored in the sprite information structs, but they are obviously not available when doing the thing from VMDs. I suspect it has something to do with one of the unknown frame part types (0, 3, 4, 5. 1 and 2 being audio and video, respectively), but haven't yet found a clue in the disassembly (the functions are lots and not at all nice to follow).
Collector

Post by Collector »

If there really is some movement towards adding FreeSCI, working out VMD would be useful. There are several SCI games that use the VMD format, as well.
timofonic

Post by timofonic »

About subtitles, I could translate them into my native language (Spanish) if having the English ones.

I'm specially bad at spoken English but I have a decent understanding when being in written form. I even have some friends (it seems impossible but I have some of them) for asking them for help and there's stuff like dictionaries and wordreference :)
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

Collector wrote:If there really is some movement towards adding FreeSCI, working out VMD would be useful. There are several SCI games that use the VMD format, as well.
Normal VMD playing is already working, at least for the ones used in Woodruff. And the ones used in Gabriel Knight 2, too. :)

Stereo sound support is still missing though, and the deDPCMing is not exactly correct since it produces clicks in some rare cases.
Ah, and the VMDs in Urban Runner don't work at all, they do some strange funky stuff...
Collector

Post by Collector »

DrMcCoy wrote:Ah, and the VMDs in Urban Runner don't work at all, they do some strange funky stuff...
Urban Runner, a Windows only game, is another one from Coktel Vision that doesn't work very well natively in XP.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Yes but DrMcCoy is talking about Urban Runner's video format here
Collector

Post by Collector »

Relax, I know he was. I was only making a comment on another one that would be nice to eventually have added to ScummVM, as DrMcCoy is the one working on the Coktel Vision games.
fac

Post by fac »

DrMcCoy wrote: Ah, and the VMDs in Urban Runner don't work at all, they do some strange funky stuff...
I might not add anything new, but Video for Windows and Indeo Codec are also installed with Urban Runner.