Can't find save files in Vista

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

nebnos

Can't find save files in Vista

Post by nebnos »

Can someone tell me where ScummVM will store save files by default in Vista?

I have been using v0.10.0 and want to copy the save files to use with the Wii build of ScummVM, but for the life of me can't find them. I never set a path in the options, if I do so now it just means ScummVM can't find the saves I've already made. And vista search comes up with nothing.

I know they are hiding away somewhere because I can still load them up fine! Please help!
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

look under my documents somewhere me thinks
nebnos

Post by nebnos »

Tried that. Trust me, I've literally spent hours searching.

If I specifiy a save path and create a new save, vista search will find the new save file but still not the old ones. It's really frustrating.
Ceri Cat

Post by Ceri Cat »

In the SCUMMVM directory itself I noticed the other day some were there on mine from before I defined another folder.
nebnos

Post by nebnos »

First place I looked :) Not there though.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

How about the game's folder?
nebnos

Post by nebnos »

Nope, not there either.

Like I said I can do a vista search (ie a search in windows explorer) and it doesn't find the saves. I've also searched high and low myself.

If anyone else is using ScummVM on a vista machine could they try setting the save path to default (I had to edit scummvm.ini to do this), save a game and then try and find the save file?
nebnos

Post by nebnos »

I've been trying to resist the urge to bump this thread, but seriuosly can no-one solve this problem?

Is it because people just think I'm some clueless noob who can't do something simple?
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Possibly, lol;)

No, but really, they have to be there somewhere right?

Have you tried checking "Search hidden files and folders" under Advanced options when you do a search?
It's also possible to get to root of My Documents through C:\Users\ètc... under Vista if I remember correctly, it uses some stupid rerouting routine. Don't run Vista myself though, so I may give you false information here.
clem

Post by clem »

nebnos wrote:I've been trying to resist the urge to bump this thread, but seriuosly can no-one solve this problem?

Is it because people just think I'm some clueless noob who can't do something simple?
I'd try but I don't have access to any vista-based machine.
WNivek

Post by WNivek »

Did you install ScummVM to the Program Files folder? Is it trying to put the saved-games in the same, or a sub-folder?

If so, then look in C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\[ScummVM folder]

In Vista, whenever a program will try to save a file into Program Files, Windows quietly redirects it into that folder. The software will see it as though it was actually there, but it's really elsewhere.
nebnos

Post by nebnos »

WNivek you bloody legend!

I can't believe that the search doesn't look in those folders, I had set it to look in hidden files and folders too.

Well I've got them now, thanks everyone :)
Ceri Cat

Post by Ceri Cat »

*shrugs* My experience with Vista to date is setting up MS Office on a friend's mother's laptop so she had the save as button. Beyond that I haven't had to touch it. And it's hardly surprising Vista doesn't search system folders by default.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Vista sux
qball

Post by qball »

Vista's search won't always find the file(s) you're looking for. It's to do with indexing. Vista builds a catalogue of info about the files on your computer so that it can speed up the search. The downside to this is that the index can become very big if you have a lot of files. So Vista will only index certain folders. When searching, Vista looks only in those folders that are indexed.

Next time you you do a search through Windows Explorer and it doesn't find what you want, and you know the file(s) exist, click the "Advanced Search" option, then check the "Include non-indexed, hidden, and system files" option. Vista should perform the search again immediately when you check this option.