Discworld

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ultimaterez

No Tinsel

Post by ultimaterez »

Hey, I just got the latest SVN, saw that it had Tinsel support, tried to compile it, but it left the Tinsel engine out of the build.
I'm trying to build on a Intel iMac running OSX 10.5.4. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to kick it in the right place to make it work?
ddkram

Post by ddkram »

i dont use Mac OSX so i aint 100% sure but if you edit the configure document before you build you will notice a line that says
add_engine tinsel "Tinsel" no
try changing that to "yes" like the other engines. if this doesnt work you might have to wait for a devolper or somone who knows more about MAC OSX
mac_es

Post by mac_es »

It compiles perfectly for WinCE... I will have to copy it to my pda.. :P
Espiox

Post by Espiox »

Thanks for uploading your build ddkram. Man, it's been ages since I played Discworld.
ultimaterez

Post by ultimaterez »

ddkram, thanks for the excellent tip. It worked just like you said and now I've got a build with the Tinsel engine it. Of course, life is never that simple. I tried running my old OS 9 copy of Discworld and it came back with this error:

"dw.scn", "114643df0d1f1530a0a9c5d4e38917bc", 1268553
"english.smp", "4710bd5cc788df1d517370d43abe1101", 344665930

I'm going to take a stab and say that this means that the old OS 9 version of the game is not yet supported?
ddkram

Post by ddkram »

glad to hear my advice was helpfull. its a shame your version isnt working but i aint sure if i can help with that.
Last edited by ddkram on Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ultimaterez

Post by ultimaterez »

Well, I checked my disk and it appears that I do have those files. I'm just not sure what those error codes mean.
ddkram

Post by ddkram »

ok i just edited my DW.SCN with a hex editor and when i did i got the same error (different numbers but same error) so this error means that it isnt compatable with your version. so you need to find the files from a version of the game that works.
ultimaterez

Post by ultimaterez »

Awesome. That's something to go off of at least. Once again, thanks for your great help. Now to just try to find the files...
ddkram

Post by ddkram »

actually there is 1 more idea you could try if you dont want to have to use another version but i cant say if it would work or not since i dont have your version.
If you want to try it go to
SCUMMVM\scummvm\trunk\engines\tinsel\detection.ccp
edit the file detection.ccp for the files that are wrong in your version (i basicly mean copy and paste the codes from your error into that file over the old codes)
hopefully this will stop the error but since that version isnt supported i dont know if it will work or not

EDIT:- dont forget after editing the detection.ccp make sure you rebuild the SVN again
ultimaterez

Post by ultimaterez »

Okay, I did the change and added the game to the ScummVM menu and it DID "recognize" that the game was the DOS version of Discworld (I wrote over the code for the DOS version of the game), but it had a panic attack when it tried to actually run the game.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Jonatan wrote:man, if you're running windows would you mind sticking up the compiled svn here? please:)
Guys, please, help us with the playtesting of already supported games. Discworld is not yet supported, so use it at your own risk.

Eugene
ddkram

Post by ddkram »

ok so changing the files in detection.ccp didnt work. you could try using just the dw.scn from a working version and see if that helps (i recommend changing only dw.scn since its the smallest). If you have already tried the dw.scn from another version as well then try changing the english.smp.

EDIT:- ok i removed this. sorry i didnt know it was illegal and i apologize (i didnt think it was illegal if he owned the original game)
Last edited by ddkram on Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

ddkram wrote:also if you want the dw.scn from the version i am using i can PM you it.
1) It's illegal
2) It won't work. In fact, the idea alone is lunatic. It's like taking an Intel CPU and plugging it on a Socket A (AMD) mainboard and then expecting it to work.
ultimaterez

Post by ultimaterez »

Oh, all right. Sorry about that. Thanks for letting us know. We'll try to curb the insanity. I think we all need to be a little insane from time to time to try and learn.
Again, sorry about the illegal thing. :oops: