monkey island music CD rips argh!!

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

superfighter

monkey island music CD rips argh!!

Post by superfighter »

i thought id figured it out but alas it only played becasue the CD was in the PC CD drive
ive ripped the music to the game directory
renamed all of the tracks to track1.mp3 track2.mp3 exactly how it said on another post

and it still wont play when i boot in up, what am i doing wrong :cry:
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

How the F*** should we know!

no, but seriously, try prssing Edit game in ScummVM, go to the paths tab and direct the Extras path to the directory you have the mp3 files in. Should've worked straight out of the box though:)
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Jonatan wrote: no, but seriously, try prssing Edit game in ScummVM, go to the paths tab and direct the Extras path to the directory you have the mp3 files in. Should've worked straight out of the box though:)
If he did put the MP3 files in the same folder as the other Monkey Island files, it should have worked without setting any Extra Path... assuming, of course, that his ScummVM supports MP3 audio (should be true for all official desktop versions), that the files are correctly named (if this is Windows, it can sometimes be hard to tell), etc.

But we don't even know what operating system we're talking about here...
superfighter

Post by superfighter »

windows XP and the latest scumm
ive just converted all of the mp3 tracks to OGG and now it reads them
bizzare :? lol
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

superfighter wrote:windows XP and the latest scumm
ive just converted all of the mp3 tracks to OGG and now it reads them
bizzare :? lol
One theory, though it's a bit far-fetched... Traditionally, file names in DOS, and later Windows, consist of a name and an extension, separated by a period. E.g. in track1.mp3, "track" is the name and "mp3" is the extension.

Windows recognizes the type of the file by its extension, and by default it will hide the extension of any file it recognizes. (If you ask me, that was a remarkably stupid design decision.) So it's possible that if you saw a file named track1.mp3, it was actually named track1.mp3.mp3.
superfighter

Post by superfighter »

haha i never thought about that
you could be right though!
Meats_Of_Evil

Be very sure that...

Post by Meats_Of_Evil »

You must be absolutely sure that if you rip the audio as mp3 you named them Track1 (No space between track and the number) instead of Track 1.

I didn't realize that I had the track listed with a space between "Track" and the number and that was why I didn't got any background music.

I even registered here just so I could warn people about this silly mistake that would make you a little crazy.

Oh well, I did my good deed.
BlackJack

Random note about Monkey Island Enhanced CD tracks

Post by BlackJack »

And IINM, not every CD track is used by the game, so you can safely delete the corresponding .ogg/.mp3/.flac (according to this site, tracks 10 and 20 are not needed -- and I've seen rumors of some tracks being duplicated -- though I've yet to see the official database mentioning this, or a ScummVM developer's confirmation :P).

//edit : the tracks can be legally downloaded from Laserschwert's site, BTW.
iPwnzorz

Post by iPwnzorz »

BlackJack wrote:And IINM, not every CD track is used by the game, so you can safely delete the corresponding .ogg/.mp3/.flac (according to this site, tracks 10 and 20 are not needed -- and I've seen rumors of some tracks being duplicated -- though I've yet to see the official database mentioning this, or a ScummVM developer's confirmation :P).

//edit : the tracks can be legally downloaded from Laserschwert's site, BTW.
Track20 definitely isn't needed but Track10 could be any one of the LeChuck themes so I'd keep that one.