Cannot Find Game.....

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Tawnka

Cannot Find Game.....

Post by Tawnka »

I have been trying to figure out this problem for a few days... This is my first time with an emulator and I didn't think it would be this much of a problem. I am almost to the point of forgetting of playing my old games becuase this is such a hassle.

Everytime I try to upload a game in ScummVM it says "ScummVM could not find any game in that specified directory!" What am I doing wrong? Or am I missing a key element? I'm totally brain dead and highly irritated. :evil:

The games I'm trying to get to work are.....
Monkey Island 2 (Audio Issues)
The Curse of Monkey Island (Audio issues)
Full Throttle (Audio Issues)
The Dig (Keeps Crashing)
Grim Fangango (If Its even possible...I'm having audio issues)

Thank you for anyone who can help me with this ASAP. Thank you for your time.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Cannot Find Game.....

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Tawnka wrote: Everytime I try to upload a game in ScummVM it says "ScummVM could not find any game in that specified directory!" What am I doing wrong? Or am I missing a key element? I'm totally brain dead and highly irritated. :evil:
You don't say exactly what you did, but I guess it could either be that you didn't copy all the necessary data files (see this page for a list of the files ScummVM needs), or you're not pointing it to the folder where the files are. (E.g. maybe you're just pointing ScummVM to the C drive, not a specific folder on it. See this tutorial for an example.)
Tawnka wrote: Grim Fangango (If Its even possible...I'm having audio issues)
Not in ScummVM. There's the Residual side-project, but while there has been quite a bit of activity on it lately, I don't believe it's playable yet. (Last time I tried, saving/restoring didn't work properly yet, for instance.)
Tawnka

Post by Tawnka »

The only way I can get my games to work is just have the disc in. I don't mind it but I'm lost and I have looked at the tutorial for putting it on your hard-drive. I don't understand how to not install the game but copy files, add files so the game works etc.

I have a big problem with Curse of Monkey Island. I am running it off the disc and the speech is very messed up. It is slow and I can hear the disc drive running non-stop. How can I edit the game so the speech is right? :S

I need a step by step book for adding games to my hardrive and formating/editing them to work. I'm so sorry but I have NEVER done anything like this before in my life. Thank you so much for the patience and help
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Tawnka wrote: I need a step by step book for adding games to my hardrive and formating/editing them to work. I'm so sorry but I have NEVER done anything like this before in my life. Thank you so much for the patience and help
Step 1. Insert game CD into your drive
Step 2. Create a directory on your HD
Step 3. Copy all files from the CD to the directory
Step 4. Run ScummVM
Step 5. Press Add Game
Step 6. Guide ScummVM to that directory you copied your files to.

For Curse of Monkey Island there is a dedicated section in README which will explain you that you will get duplicated files when you will copy to same directory. That's all.

No special preparations, formatting/editing or whatnot is needed.

Eugene
Tawnka

Post by Tawnka »

sev wrote:
Tawnka wrote: I need a step by step book for adding games to my hardrive and formating/editing them to work. I'm so sorry but I have NEVER done anything like this before in my life. Thank you so much for the patience and help
Step 1. Insert game CD into your drive
Step 2. Create a directory on your HD
Step 3. Copy all files from the CD to the directory
Step 4. Run ScummVM
Step 5. Press Add Game
Step 6. Guide ScummVM to that directory you copied your files to.

For Curse of Monkey Island there is a dedicated section in README which will explain you that you will get duplicated files when you will copy to same directory. That's all.

No special preparations, formatting/editing or whatnot is needed.

Eugene
Ok thank you so much! I will try this today and see if I can do it. So I don't install it? I just copy the files to a new folder on my HD? Got it. I will read about Curse of Monkey Island as well.

Another question. If I was just trying to play Curse of Monkey just off the CD and wanted the voice/speach to work right how should I fix that? I'm not sure how to edit the game to where it will work. Sorry if this is a bother.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

I don't think you can fix that easily. Copy the game to disk, it's always safer and much more stable.
Tawnka

Post by Tawnka »

Jonatan wrote:I don't think you can fix that easily. Copy the game to disk, it's always safer and much more stable.
Its already on the disc because it is the disc. Or you mean copy it to my HD then put it on a CD... Which is the exact same thing?
clem

Post by clem »

Tawnka wrote:
Jonatan wrote:I don't think you can fix that easily. Copy the game to disk, it's always safer and much more stable.
Its already on the disc because it is the disc. Or you mean copy it to my HD then put it on a CD... Which is the exact same thing?
By "disk" he means harddisk - you should not try to play multi-CD games off the CDs

Just copy the game datafiles to harddisk, then add the location in the ScummVM GUI, and store the original CDs safely :)
Tawnka

Post by Tawnka »

clem wrote:
Tawnka wrote:
By "disk" he means harddisk - you should not try to play multi-CD games off the CDs

Just copy the game datafiles to harddisk, then add the location in the ScummVM GUI, and store the original CDs safely :)
Ohh ok. Thats what I was guessing after I responded. I got the game to work perfectly! :D I just hope everything goes well on the second disc! Thank you everyone for all your help! I REALLY REALLY appreciate it.