Problem Playing SMI since new update

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Juniper

Problem Playing SMI since new update

Post by Juniper »

I tried searching the forums but was unable to find my problem.

I recently downloaded the latest scummVM version 0.12.0

and tried to play my Secret of Monkey Island game and it wouldn't work any longer. It is the ENGLISH/DOS/EGA version btw.

It loads to the pirate screen wheel page and I type in the numbers and then an error messsage pops up stating:

ScummVM 0. 12. 0 (Aug 29 2008 11: 01: 26)
Console is ready
Debugger started, type 'exit' to return to the game.
Type 'help' to see a little list of commands and variables.
ERROR: (90:152:0x1B2) : get ResourceAddress Illegal Glob type String (7) num 1831

I've never had this problem before. I have no idea what's going on. I did type exit but it only turned off the game.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Problem Playing SMI since new update

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Juniper wrote: and tried to play my Secret of Monkey Island game and it wouldn't work any longer. It is the ENGLISH/DOS/EGA version btw.
No one did any release testing of that version of the game for 0.12 unfortunately, so it's possible there was a regression. (I guess most users/developers only have the VGA version.) Could you please file a bug report so that the problem isn't forgotten about?
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Hm, it works fine over here. Can you give us the MD5s of your *.LEC and *.LFL files?
Juniper

Post by Juniper »

All LEC and LFL files are dated 9/1/1990 except for the DISK01.LEC which is dated 9/15/1991

also, just filed the bug report.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

those are not the MD5's however:)
Juniper

Post by Juniper »

Jonatan wrote:those are not the MD5's however:)
What are the MD5s?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Juniper wrote: What are the MD5s?
MD5 is a "cryptographic hash function". It takes an input (in this case, a data file) and generates a checksum for it. You can think of it as a kind of fingerprint, since the chance of two different files having the same checksum is very low. ScummVM uses it to tell different versions of the same game apart, and it can also be useful for determining whether or not a data file has been damaged in any way.

Which program to use to calculate the MD5 sum depends on your operating system. Wikipedia's article on md5sum is probably a good place to start.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »