A couple of suggestions for future scummVM releases.

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

DSpider

A couple of suggestions for future scummVM releases.

Post by DSpider »

- Button assignments (ie. Mouse 3 for "." - skip dialogue in some games, or Mouse 1 + Mouse 2 pressed together for F5, that would be awesome)

- Brightness, Contrast, Gamma, maybe even Saturation control gauges. I know I can increase them manually from the graphic's card driver but it's a real pain in the ass to keep doing it every time I enter a game. It would be nice to have it in scummVM's menu. Automagically detect if there's an ATI or nVIDIA card installed and tweak it in some way from within the application.

Thanks.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Sorry, the latter is not possible within the scope of ScummVM.

For the former: Some SCUMM games already map left+right button pressed simultaneously to functions; as do other games; so this would not be possible on a general level, but something like that *could* possibly be hacked into some engines. File a feature request on our feature request tracker if you are seriously interested in this (you can easily find it via our homepage).

Also, right now ScummVM does not support more than two mouse buttons, but once more feel free to mention this in your feature request :).
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

fingolfin wrote:Sorry, the latter is not possible within the scope of ScummVM.
Well, since all palette operations go through the same function in the backend, you could probably add some sort of "brighten/darken the palette" filter there fairly easy, if that's a desirable feature. In fact, I was sorely tempted to do just that before I got a new computer. My old monitor was so dark that parts of Full Throttle were almost impossible to make out if the sun was shining outside. :)
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
fingolfin wrote:Sorry, the latter is not possible within the scope of ScummVM.
Well, since all palette operations go through the same function in the backend, you could probably add some sort of "brighten/darken the palette" filter there fairly easy, if that's a desirable feature. In fact, I was sorely tempted to do just that before I got a new computer. My old monitor was so dark that parts of Full Throttle were almost impossible to make out if the sun was shining outside. :)
Good point! What I really meant was that we will not add code specific to ATI or nVIDIA cards (and, in fact, specific to select operating system, such as Windows, which is most likely what DSpider is using). But clearly I was thinking to narrowly :)

SDL offers a SDL_SetGamma function, and we could add support for that. We can also artificially brighten the palette (though the result won't be nice). I don't think it would make sense to try that for contrast, though.

Once more, I recommend filing a feature request :).
DSpider

Post by DSpider »

Actually I'm using Linux Mint 5. Close enough.

The feature request on sourceforge ? Ok. I'll see what I can do. And I hope someone will read it... Thanks.
Tim20

Post by Tim20 »

I'm not sure where the feature request thingy is. :oops: But, what about the option to enable v-sync within ScummVM? :)
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

I added a link to the feature request tracker to the sidebar on our website, so that even you can find it ;).
Tim20

Post by Tim20 »

Ta. :)
Tim20

Post by Tim20 »

Because my Feature Request was closed, i couldn't ask Sev a question, so...

Sev, when you suggested i may consider looking into libSDL options, what did you mean by that and where are these options?
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

libsdl.org

Eugene
Tim20

Post by Tim20 »

Thanks for the link. Trouble is, is i have no idea what i'm supposed to do with the file. Plus, there already seems to be an up-to-date SDL file in my ScummVM folder. :?
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Actually, vsync is not really within the scope of SDL in general, I am afraid. See here: <http://listas.apesol.org/pipermail/sdl- ... 36127.html>.

With OpenGL, things tend to be a bit better; in SDL 1.3, I think all graphics output is done via a OpenGL in the end (at least on Mac OS X that is the case), so maybe we'll get vsync "for free" then. In the meantime: Tough luck...

See also this thread on this very forum: <http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=4061>.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

fingolfin wrote:in SDL 1.3, I think all graphics output is done via a OpenGL in the end (at least on Mac OS X that is the case), so maybe we'll get vsync "for free" then.
Personally, I hope that will stay optional. I've had far too many bad experiences with OpenGL using slow software fallbacks, not working correctly, or locking up my computer. 3D acceleration under Linux is still a pretty bumpy ride, at least with the open-source drivers. As long as that's restricted to 3D games and screensavers I can live with it, but I don't need that kind of aggravation with 2D games.

There are some signs that things may be improving, but I'm not holding my breath.
BigT

Post by BigT »

The continued lack of vsync support in ScummVM is an annoying issue. I really can't think of any other decent emulator or game that does not support it or can't have it forced.

Unfortunately, SDL uses either GDI (which is ancient and sucks) or an ancient version of directdraw. There really aren't any tools available (to the best of my knowledge) to force vsync with these.

With Direct3D, OpenGL, or semi-recent versions of directdraw (circa directx 7), vsync can be forced on with graphics drivers or by using Rivatuner's excellent D3D overrider utility.