POC-1 - MI2 Speech Alpha

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

iPwnzorz

POC-1 - MI2 Speech Alpha

Post by iPwnzorz »

For any of you out there that care, I just released a test version of the speech project to prove it works(tm).

Hop on over to http://speechproject.mixnmojo.com/ and see for yourself.

It crashes after the scene with Largo, I'm not sure why and the ScummVM console will moan at you for having a malformed MD5 or some crap. ScummVM Team: I won't complain until the projects finished, because the MD5 changes everytime I update.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Don't bother to complain after you finished either, we don't incorporate MD5 checksums of fan made projects. However, there is no need to, either, so that shouldn't concern you.

Good luck with the project!
iPwnzorz

Post by iPwnzorz »

Oh ok, forget that then.

And thanks, although I am a bit worried about this crash, I don't know whether it's because I forgot to add the line or if the game just doesn't like the voices "/

I'd hate to scrub the project after everything I've done so far...
sanguinehearts

Post by sanguinehearts »

perhaps an ips patch would help with distribution of this.
they are often used for game translations etc and just require a patcher which is available for many platforms.

might be worth a look since you could just distribute an ips patch.
iPwnzorz

Post by iPwnzorz »

A who with the what now? Do explain.
clem

Post by clem »

iPwnzorz wrote:A who with the what now? Do explain.
The International Patching System was originally created to patch console ROMs.

However, I think IPS only changes specific bytes, so if the output file is longer (since you're adding additional commands to the SCUMM script?) the patch file might well become larger than the original file, and you're effectively distributing original LucasArts property again.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

I wonder how well xdelta would work. I've never used it myself, I've only heard of it.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Yet another binary differ, which claims to be more efficient than xdelta: http://www.daemonology.net/bsdiff/ -- however, I think that comparision is based on an old xdelta version...

Anyway, the main problems with those binary diffs is the problem of applying them on many platforms. Since xdelta provides a Windows GUI, that would make it quite appealing for the project, I guess.

[EDIT: Sorry, I meant xdelta, not xdiff, which is not even a binary differ :)]
Last edited by fingolfin on Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

xdelta is quite organized and maintained, I don't see any progress on bsdiff. Also, it seems that xdelta needs far less memory than bsdiff (at least, according to its documentation). I haven't found any Windows binary in xdiff's home page, is it provided by someone else?

To me, it seems that xdelta is the best solution from the ones mentioned up to now:

http://xdelta.org/
iPwnzorz

Post by iPwnzorz »

I don't see the point really. I just use scummtr and a .bat to patch ^^

If anyone can actually suggest a better, more efficient way though, I'd be grateful.
clem

Post by clem »

iPwnzorz wrote:I don't see the point really. I just use scummtr and a .bat to patch ^^
I believe the point of the past few posts is to provide some open source tool which has binaries available for more than just Windows.
iPwnzorz

Post by iPwnzorz »

I meant the point of using an IPS
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

iPwnzorz wrote:I meant the point of using an IPS
Check the link that clem posted, you'll find that IPS is quite a problematic format for today's standards
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

The point of using IPS or any of these other patching systems means that you can distribute your changes to the MI2 files that can then be used by people that don't use windows to patch their own versions of MI2. This solves your problem of scummtr not being available on Linux. It also means that the download of your modification will be as small as your current system and has as no LucasArts data, meaning you are clear of distributing illegal copies of LucasArts files.
iPwnzorz

Post by iPwnzorz »

I'll have a bit of an explore then.

Oh and Ezekiel, it's because of you I have my Mix 'n' Mojo space, you gave me the idea of posting over there, so thanks ;)