Grim Fandango advice needed

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

WDeranged

Grim Fandango advice needed

Post by WDeranged »

Sorry for being slightly off topic as I know it doesn't and will never work with scummvm but I always assumed it still worked with XP in software mode.

After years I've installed it again and I get lines all over the screen in software mode and partially invisible characters in accelerated mode (as it seems there is no cure for).

Anyone got an idea why I can't get software mode to work properly? I've tried all the usual windows compatibility mode options with no joy :roll:

Peace
WDeranged

Post by WDeranged »

I should add my spec.

Q6600 cpu @ 3.4ghz, 4gb ram and 8800 gtx graphics card into a 19" lcd.
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

Have you tried the official patch and the unofficial launcher from The Grim Network?
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

search the forums, this has been answered many times before. it runs fine in hardware mode, disable antialliasing on your graphics card and disable multithreadprocessing in the grim.exe(set affinity to 1 or modify it with imagecfg.exe).
also do a full install to hard drive.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Quick and Easy have a couple of Grim related things.

The launcher and a replacement setup.
http://quick.mixnmojo.com/quick-and-eas ... ango-setup

Also linked at Q&A is software for making DVD installers, handy for backing up both CDs onto one DVD.
http://quick.mixnmojo.com/grim-and-emi- ... p-programs
Direct link.
http://sharethecreation.wordpress.com/
WDeranged

Post by WDeranged »

Thanks for the replies guys, I've tried all the solutions mentioned, the only way I can get it to run is using the unofficial launcher's windowed mode.

I do find it slightly odd that I get graphical glitching in software mode, other people don't seem to be having this :cry:
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

did you disable multithreadprocessing? if so, try to run in hardware mode instead;)
WDeranged

Post by WDeranged »

Yep, i've set the affinity using imagecfg but it hasn't helped, if i enable hardware graphics the characters have large areas missing.

Antialiasing isn't enabled in my graphics card options and I can see that its not being used.
WDeranged

Post by WDeranged »

I've found a partial solution, disabling hardware acceleration in Dxdiag seems to make software mode work properly apart from a strange animation jitter when you rotate manny on the spot.

Promising stuff though, I could at least play the game now, even if its a bit dodgy :)
WDeranged

Post by WDeranged »

I'd forgotten how stripey glottis looks without hardware shading :roll: