Discworld

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

meist3r

Post by meist3r »

Now that the second part is partially implemented I really wanted to finish the first part. Now I'm stuck and I don't know if I did something wrong (according to several guides I didn't) or if this is a bug.

When you receive the autograph from the milkmaid and want to show the book to the barber in the Woods Rincewind simply says: "Hmmmmm? Let's keep track of that." But I can never actually give him the book. Usually he would apparently take the book and then re-appear in his shop so the plot continues.

Other than that I got some other problems. In the "Dark Woods" scene every time you enter that scene and cross it the animation of Rincewind tearing down a spiderweb is played. I believe after the first time you've been there that shouldn't happen. And in the Dungeon of the palace the text that is spoken by the prisoner in the left hand cell is way too long for two lines and gets cropped at the edge of the screen.

I know it's all work in progress and not officially supported but I wanted to let you know, nonetheless.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

meist3r wrote:When you receive the autograph from the milkmaid and want to show the book to the barber in the Woods Rincewind simply says: "Hmmmmm? Let's keep track of that." But I can never actually give him the book.
Rincewind has to know that the Barber needs to be back in his shop, too. :P
meist3r wrote:In the "Dark Woods" scene every time you enter that scene and cross it the animation of Rincewind tearing down a spiderweb is played.
That one happens in the orignal as well, i.e. it's probably a bug in the scripts.
meist3r

Post by meist3r »

DrMcCoy wrote:Rincewind has to know that the Barber needs to be back in his shop, too. :P
Ahh, I'm such a chump, should finish the quests first :p

Edit: But now I noticed that the scroll bars in the inventories don't work. I can resize the inventory window so I can access all items but it won't scroll no matter how small I make it.

Edit2: And yet another thing that I noticed, the double click speed in Discworld 2 is incredibly fast. I have to mash my mouse button to get "some" click through eventually. In DW1 there's a slider to adjust that but I can't find that setting in DW2. It's playable but not quite a bit frustrating still.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

meist3r wrote:Edit2: And yet another thing that I noticed, the double click speed in Discworld 2 is incredibly fast. I have to mash my mouse button to get "some" click through eventually. In DW1 there's a slider to adjust that but I can't find that setting in DW2. It's playable but not quite a bit frustrating still.
Yes, that's a known glitch. A workaround is manually editing dclick_speed in the DW2 section of your ~/.scummvmrc. 10 seems to be a reasonable value.
meist3r

Post by meist3r »

DrMcCoy wrote:
meist3r wrote:Edit2: And yet another thing that I noticed, the double click speed in Discworld 2 is incredibly fast. I have to mash my mouse button to get "some" click through eventually. In DW1 there's a slider to adjust that but I can't find that setting in DW2. It's playable but not quite a bit frustrating still.
Yes, that's a known glitch. A workaround is manually editing dclick_speed in the DW2 section of your ~/.scummvmrc. 10 seems to be a reasonable value.
OK good to know, I'll try manually changing the settings.

Now I've just finished Discworld 1 again after such a long time and I'm just glad this works :p For Eric Idles voice work alone this needs to be preserved.

But I got a slight problem now, I got a savegame relatively close to the last sequence and whenever I load that (it's in front of the Dragon Lady's house) ScummVM crashes with:

Code: Select all

scummvm: engines/tinsel/tinlib.cpp:3917: void Tinsel::Walked(Tinsel::CoroBaseContext*&, int, int, int, Tinsel::SCNHANDLE, bool, int, bool&): Assertion `pMover->hCpath != NOPOLY' failed.
I do nothing but walk a few steps. I can't even get outside the scene. It's not dramatic since I finished it anyway but the last savegame before that is almost an hour back in the game. Is that something I should expect at this stage?

I can upload the savegame to the bug tracker or mail it if that helps anything.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

meist3r wrote:I do nothing but walk a few steps. I can't even get outside the scene. It's not dramatic since I finished it anyway but the last savegame before that is almost an hour back in the game. Is that something I should expect at this stage?

I can upload the savegame to the bug tracker or mail it if that helps anything.
We have categories for Discworld and Discworld 2 on the bug tracker now, so you can create a bug report and upload the save with it. Remember to provide details about your system and which version of DW1 you're running (including whether it's the .scn or .gra files version).
Franklinsteiner

Post by Franklinsteiner »

i cant get discworld 1 to work. The SVN simply disappears when i attempt to start the ganme
clem

Post by clem »

Franklinsteiner wrote:i cant get discworld 1 to work. The SVN simply disappears when i attempt to start the ganme
If using windows/mac/linux version of ScummVM, maybe FAQ 5.6 applies?
Eilhan

Post by Eilhan »

Franklinsteiner wrote:i cant get discworld 1 to work. The SVN simply disappears when i attempt to start the ganme
You might have to change your Music, SFX and Speech volume settings. I recently had the same problem, and it turned out that the Tinsel engine didn't like that I had set all volumes to 256 (Maximum value). Any value lower than that worked fine for me.
Kisdra

Post by Kisdra »

I have the same kind of problem on Win XP, ScummVM SVN shut down with the two games when I try to launch them (I haven't tried the FAQ console tip yet, so I can't tell more about the crashes).

The weird thing is that with the latest SVN build for Mac, which haven't been updated since September, I have absolutly no problem running Discworld 1 (same files that I used on XP).

Anyway guys, the support of Discworld 2 is just a wonderful thing, so keep up the good work to make it works perfectly ! ;)
fraludio

Post by fraludio »

Can anyone make a mac binary of the latest svn?

Thanks.
Kisdra

Post by Kisdra »

Eilhan wrote:
You might have to change your Music, SFX and Speech volume settings. I recently had the same problem, and it turned out that the Tinsel engine didn't like that I had set all volumes to 256 (Maximum value). Any value lower than that worked fine for me.
I tried this solution, and, here it is, Discworld 1 and 2 working ! Thank you so much !
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Kisdra wrote:
Eilhan wrote:
I tried this solution, and, here it is, Discworld 1 and 2 working ! Thank you so much !
This should no longer be an issue now
Kisdra

Post by Kisdra »

md5 wrote:
Kisdra wrote:
Eilhan wrote:You might have to change your Music, SFX and Speech volume settings. I recently had the same problem, and it turned out that the Tinsel engine didn't like that I had set all volumes to 256 (Maximum value). Any value lower than that worked fine for me.
This should no longer be an issue now
Yup, I just downloaded the last build, and I can now put back volumes to 256. Thanks !

There is just something I've noticed with both DW games, it's concerning the subtitles. When there's a dialog in the game, the voices are perfect, but the subtitles are not synchronized as they should, they remain a few seconds on screen after the end of the voice sentence. I tried to change the subs speed in the games menus, but that didn't change anything.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Kisdra wrote:Yup, I just downloaded the last build, and I can now put back volumes to 256. Thanks !

There is just something I've noticed with both DW games, it's concerning the subtitles. When there's a dialog in the game, the voices are perfect, but the subtitles are not synchronized as they should, they remain a few seconds on screen after the end of the voice sentence. I tried to change the subs speed in the games menus, but that didn't change anything.
Try setting the subtitle speed to the LOWEST setting (low = fast subtitles, high = slow subtitles). This is opposite to what the player would expect, and it was the same in the original game afaik :( . We might need to swap that so that it'll be more sensible