Do the Series IQ Points in INDY3 work fully?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

samwise

Do the Series IQ Points in INDY3 work fully?

Post by samwise »

Hi,

I've just finished Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade: The Graphic Adventure with the latest release of ScummVM on Linux.

It's not possible to get all 800 available IQ Points in one run-through, I don't think - because some points are awarded for completing puzzles in alternative ways. In the original DOS game, the Series IQ Points were used to track whether you had found all the alternatives - i.e. if you solved a problem in one attempt, your Series IQ Points were increased by the same amount as the Episode IQ Points. If you then started the game again your Episode IQ Points would be reset to 0 but the Series IQ Points would not. If you then solved that same problem a different way, then your Series IQ Points were increased again with a different number of points (depending on whether the solution you found was cleverer or not than the previous one). So you'd have to play through the game multiple times in order to gain all 800 Series IQ Points. Spoiler example included below.

Anyway, the original Save/Load functions don't work in ScummVM, so I'm just wondering if ScummVM supports the IQ Series Points feature.

I suspect not, and the value for the IQ Series Points will just remain permanently equivalent to the IQ Episode Points. Am I correct?

Sam.

*** SPOILER ***

Good example of this is right at the start - getting into Indy's office. The easy solution is to talk to the students and use the lines from the movie, then when you get in you can sneak out the window. The cleverer solution is to talk to Marcus to get the name of a new geography teacher and then tell all the students to sign up with him. That way, you can walk in and out through the door of the office. You get more points for the latter. You'd have to do BOTH tho, if you want to achieve the full 800 IQ Series Points. It is possible to get all the points in one game, in this example, by slipping out the window and then coming back through the door and telling the students about the new professor. However this not an option for some later puzzles (e.g. getting past the butler in the castle) where only one solution can be chosen, even though the alternatives also provide IQ points.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Yes, you are correct. The IQ series points are only stored when the original savegame dialog is invoked (can be done via Alt-F5 in ScummVM), but this doesn't work currently for various reasons. See also https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.p ... tid=418822
samwise

Post by samwise »

OK, thanks.

Shame that you can't be sure you've done everything.

I guess I'll keep an eye on the tracker.

Ta,

Sam.
homerjs

Post by homerjs »

something new about that issue?