Residual/Grime/GRIM FANDANGO

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

questionmarkman

Post by questionmarkman »

I've copied both discs to my hard drive

I was under the assumption that with GrimX all I would need to do was select the appropriate file and I'd be able to play
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

no, you only have to set the path to the directory.
have you copied both discs to the same folder?
cashc0w

Post by cashc0w »

Hey guys, I registered this account just to post this. I love Grim Fandango as do the rest of you. I have the game and am able to get it to run fine with GrimX 0.3 on my Intel Mac (Leopard). The only problem I have is with loading the game. I can save it fine, but when I go to load it the program just quits or freezes. And its impossible to play the game without saving cause its a long game and well, you know, you have to save and come back to it and stuff. Anyways... I read on page 10 that there was a new "build" of Residual out which made saving/loading a possibility but when I downloaded it and launched it, it would just open and close.

I dont know much about programming, but is there anyone who was able to load their game successfully and if so how did you do it?

thanks
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

I don't think load/savestate is properly supported yet in any case. Besides, the game is not finishable yet so it wouldn't help you much.
desepticon

Post by desepticon »

With CrossOver Games and the New Grim Launcher (available on the internet) it is possible to play the windows version on the mac osx. First I installed the game normally through crossover. Then I installed the new launcher into the Grim Fandango bottle. It updated the game automatically and allowed me to copy the files to my hard drive so I could play it.
Seems to work perfectly.
RetroScurvy

Residual

Post by RetroScurvy »

Hi folks,

First of all Scummvm is a majestic piece of software, I am profoundly grateful for it's creation. Really.

I'm looking forwards to Discworld support and my big question is... is how is the progress with the Residual program (Mac Intel) for Grim Fandango....? I have my eye on a PC copy but didn't want to buy it without any chance of playing it... And I'm hoping I will [but suspecting I won't - this may be crazy talk] be able to run my old PS2 version of Escape from Monkey Island on it, on my mac...? Or will I?

Many thanks again for Scummvm :D

P.S. Will residual be able to run the 3D Sam & Max episodes too...?
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Short answer: no.

Residual is far from finished and GF is not finishable, support for MI4 has not even started except for preliminary preporations, and I'm dubious to wether you will ever be able to play PS2 versions on it.
And there are no plans to support Sam and Max.

Then to the good news, if you own an Intel mac you can run all of these games(and more) through VMWare or simply install Windows trough BootCamp.

Good luck and good night.
RetroScurvy

Post by RetroScurvy »

Thanks Jonatan,

I know about bootcamp, but wasn't using mac when it was a free app... so having missed out on that I now I have to go through the expensive business of buying OSX Leopard AND a copy of windows... and then the game on top.

Ok violins off.

Goodnight yourself and cheers for the prompt reply.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

As I said, you can run them through VMWare. No need to buy Windows.
spookypeanut
ScummVM Developer

Post by spookypeanut »

I was under the impression that you need a windows license in order to use VMWare?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

VMWare emulates a hardware platform, not a whole operating system. You need to own a copy of Windows in order to install it to the VMWare virtual machine and run Windows-based games on it
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Right. My bad.
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

You will need Windows for a VM but you may not need to spend money on VMWare.
Sun's VirtualBox (free) appears to give guests OpenGL support these days. If I remember correctly, both Grimm and MI4 can run on OpenGL aswell.

In any way, you should not buy a new Vista just for these games but shop for a 2nd hand WinXP license instead. Grimm and MI4 may not even run well on Vista.
RetroScurvy

Post by RetroScurvy »

Thanks bobdevis!

Yeah, I've had my eye on a cheap-ish copy of Windows XP online. The thing is I've actually never played GF! Seems like alot of hassle and cash for the one game but... I was hoping Residual would be closer to release than it is... I'm kinda desperate ;)
maximus

Post by maximus »

If you're looking for a (free) alternative, you could always give wine a shot. I personally haven't tested Grim Fandango using wine, but according to the AppDB, it'll install and run. This doesn't necessarily mean it'll run as smoothly or consistently as it would under VMWare/Parallels/VirtualBox/qemu with windows installed on top, but it's worth a shot :)