20 other games I always wondered about...

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

SonataFanatica

20 other games I always wondered about...

Post by SonataFanatica »

Hi guys!

I always wondered if some other classic graphic adventures I remember from the past could be run with ScummVM in the (near?) future. So... what about...

(sorted alphabetically)

01.) Alien Incident
02.) Amazon: Guardians Of Eden
03.) Armaëth: The Lost Kingdom
04.) Blue Force
04.) Call Of Cthulhu: Shadow Of The Comet
05.) Call Of Cthulhu: Prisoner Of Ice
06.) Callahan's Crosstime Saloon
07.) Cruise For A Corpse
08.) Countdown [by Access Software]
09.) Dark Half
10.) Dark Seed 1
11.) Dark Seed 2
12.) DragonSphere
13.) DreamWeb
14.) Fable
15.) Gabriel Knight 1: Sins Of The Fathers
16.) Innocent Until Caught 1
17.) Innocent Until Caught 2: Proven Guilty
18.) Lost Files Of Sherlock Holmes 1: The Case Of The Serrated Scalpel
19.) Rex Nebular And The Cosmic Genderbender
20.) Rise Of The Dragon

I figured I shouldn't ask about any other/later Sierra games than the ones listed in the Compatibility section, so I ignore my wish for Space Quest 3, Codename Iceman and the Quest For Glory games...

I was hoping I might give some ScummVM-guys new ideas for games that could be supported! I'm sorry if some of the games were already "requested" before - I thought it would be easier and faster for the ScummVM-workers to post a reply in just one topic.

Thanks in advance for any information! :)
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

The Junkyard
All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)
Also, you can use the forum search option. There is some chatter on at least some of the games you listed.
Espiox

Post by Espiox »

According to the Wiki, engines for

07.) Cruise For A Corpse
12.) DragonSphere
16.) Innocent Until Caught 1
17.) Innocent Until Caught 2: Proven Guilty
19.) Rex Nebular And The Cosmic Genderbender

are being worked on already (but aren't supported yet). As for Gabriel Knight, that'll likely be added thanks to the new SCI engine, but that's a pretty long ways off yet.
Collector

Post by Collector »

Space Quest 3, Codename: Iceman and the original Quest For Glory 1 are more likely to be supported sooner than Gabriel Knight 1 with the state of Free SCI and its incorporation into ScummVM. Only the experimental branch of Free SCI, Gluten, supports VGA games.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Re: 20 other games I always wondered about...

Post by md5 »

Sorting your games by company:
Access Software: Amazon: Guardians Of Eden, Countdown --> very hardcoded games (a lot of stuff is hardcoded in the executable), plus they use a funky overlay manager (some version of RTLink)
Divide by Zero: Innocent Until Caught 1, Innocent Until Caught 2: Proven Guilty --> work is being done on these. Check the Interspective engine page
Dynamix: Blue Force, Rise Of The Dragon --> there was some VERY initial work being done on these, but there hasn't been much progress
Coktel Vision: Cruise for a Corpse --> check the CruisE engine page
Microprose: DragonSphere, Rex Nebular And The Cosmic Genderbender --> check the M4 engine page - though don't expect much from it, the games are VERY hardcoded and development on the engine has been stalled currently
Sierra: Gabriel Knight 1: Sins Of The Fathers --> check the SCI engine page - though Gabriel Knight used a much later version of the engine, and likely won't be supported anytime soon
Mythos Software: Lost Files Of Sherlock Holmes 1: The Case Of The Serrated Scalpel --> check this thread
john_doe
ScummVM Developer

Post by john_doe »

md5 wrote:Sorting your games by company:
Access Software: Amazon: Guardians Of Eden, Countdown --> very hardcoded games (a lot of stuff is hardcoded in the executable), plus they use a funky overlay manager (some version of RTLink)
Small correction: No, they're not that hardcoded, and also don't use RTLink etc. You probably mixed this up with the Legend Entertainment games :wink:
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Legend Entertainment: Callahan's Crosstime Saloon. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that their games were hard-coded, rather than having a generic game engine, but I don't know for sure. People have written tools to extract text and vocabulary from at least some of them, but that's of course a much smaller task than actually playing them.
john_doe
ScummVM Developer

Post by john_doe »

eriktorbjorn wrote:Legend Entertainment:
Yes, everything is hardcoded. The games use some common framework/engine, though.
Collector

Post by Collector »

md5 wrote:Dynamix: Blue Force
Coktel Vision: Cruise for a Corpse
Blue Force was Tsunami and Cruise for a Corpse was Delphine.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

john_doe wrote:
md5 wrote:Sorting your games by company:
Small correction: No, they're not that hardcoded, and also don't use RTLink etc. You probably mixed this up with the Legend Entertainment games :wink:
Argh, indeed :) thanks for the correction, I was having a look at these games at the same time (as you correctly remember john_doe :P ) and mixed them up
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Collector wrote:
md5 wrote:Dynamix: Blue Force
Coktel Vision: Cruise for a Corpse
Blue Force was Tsunami and Cruise for a Corpse was Delphine.
Thanks for the corrections :) Next time, I won't make such posts early in the morning, with a hangover... :P

(note: also, I'll make sure I press "Quote" instead of "Edit" next time... clearly it's not my day today...)
Collector

Post by Collector »

No problem. I sometimes post in a hurry (like at work) and make mistakes, too.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Don't forget the third Microprose adventure Return of the Phantom. That was a great game.