Translating ScummVM ?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

JonPro wrote:And I would like to help programming the way on gettin ScummVM easilly "tranlateable" (using an XML file or something like this, you know...) too.
Nice, check this patch

Eugene
iPwnzorz

Post by iPwnzorz »

clem wrote:
PsYcO wrote: well, it may cause fewer, non-speaking english people to get confuced, resulting in fewer noob posts
in my experience noob posts mostly result from:
- inability to read forum rules (ie asking for warez)
- not reading documentation (README etc)
- computer illiteracy (ie "how do I copy files to my HD")

I doubt that can be fixed by translating the GUI - I even think that lots of noob posts come from people with English as their first language in the first place

it strikes me as odd that people who apparently don't understand the GUI are able to sign up for the forum and often post their questions in fairly good English

clem
(who, back in the day, fought his way through Countdown with a small, yellow dictionary)
When did computer illiteracy become a crime?

Remember, ScummVM attracts gamers aswell. Gamers are often a bit in the dark, because they just game.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

We just don't have all day to answer all these questions, especially others who are busy developing for ScummVM. The answers are already documented in various places, and it comes down to probably being lazy, not searching and just asking here.
clem

Post by clem »

iPwnzorz wrote:
clem wrote: - computer illiteracy (ie "how do I copy files to my HD")
<snip>
I doubt that can be fixed by translating the GUI - I even think that lots of noob posts come from people with English as their first language in the first place
When did computer illiteracy become a crime?
it didn't - merely pointing out that translating documentation won't automatically cure computer-illiteracy
thanius

Translation

Post by thanius »

It's nice to have applications in ones native language, but I'm all against software translations - mostly because everyone has to wait for games to be translated into several languages because people are too lazy to learn another language (We swedes have to wait for our games to get here because of germany, spain, france and italy).
I mean, who can sincerely stand dubbed movies? That's just plain wrong. I'm all for english software.
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Re: Translation

Post by PsYcO »

thanius wrote:It's nice to have applications in ones native language, but I'm all against software translations - mostly because everyone has to wait for games to be translated into several languages because people are too lazy to learn another language (We swedes have to wait for our games to get here because of germany, spain, france and italy).
I mean, who can sincerely stand dubbed movies? That's just plain wrong. I'm all for english software.
im sure they wouldn't withhold an english release till a foreign version is out...
clem

Post by clem »

PsYcO wrote:im sure they wouldn't withhold an english release till a foreign version is out...
welcome to Austria - we have some theaters in Vienna where they play only original language movies and the movies start at the same time the German dubbed versions start (for most non-blockbuster movies we're talking a several month delay here - you often can buy the original DVD from Amazon by the time you can see it on the big screen)

can't say if that is accurate for games too, they mostly get released in different language versions simultaneously nowadays
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

clem wrote:
PsYcO wrote:im sure they wouldn't withhold an english release till a foreign version is out...
welcome to Austria - we have some theaters in Vienna where they play only original language movies and the movies start at the same time the German dubbed versions start (for most non-blockbuster movies we're talking a several month delay here - you often can buy the original DVD from Amazon by the time you can see it on the big screen)

can't say if that is accurate for games too, they mostly get released in different language versions simultaneously nowadays
i was talking about the scummvm dev team... but that is outrageous, i encourage you to use as many illegal methods of obtaining/viewing stuff as humanly possible
thanius

Post by thanius »

we're talking a several month delay here - you often can buy the original DVD from Amazon by the time you can see it on the big screen)
Yeah, that's what I mean - it can takes months, or even up to a year - for games to get here to europe. Movies are usually only a couple of months behind, but it's silly how games can be delayed because of the extra translations.
Just look at Elite Beat Agents for the DS - the game contains almost nothing to translate, but still it's almost a year late to the party.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

PsYcO wrote: i was talking about the scummvm dev team... but that is outrageous, i encourage you to use as many illegal methods of obtaining/viewing stuff as humanly possible
Please refrain from encouraging people here to break the law in their respective home countries. While you are entitled to your oppinion, asking people to break the law is in most countries illegal by itself, and we can not condone such a thing. Hence we will act upon it, which can result in a ban. Consider yourself warned.
Pmac268

French translation

Post by Pmac268 »

Could somebody help me doing a french translation of scummvm?

Pierre
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: French translation

Post by sev »

Pmac268 wrote:Could somebody help me doing a french translation of scummvm?
As you see in this discussion, we still have to add support for the translations in the code.

Eugene
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

The availability of GUI language choice would be a good idea. If I play the games in German (for instance), I would like to have the GUI in German as well. And unlike the documentation that should be quickly done.

And lo be honest: we can arrogantly claim that everybody who wants to use this program should be able to read English or we could accept that there are countries in which English is an uncommon language (such as France or Italy).
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Nikioko wrote:The availability of GUI language choice would be a good idea. If I play the games in German (for instance), I would like to have the GUI in German as well. And unlike the documentation that should be quickly done.

And lo be honest: we can arrogantly claim that everybody who wants to use this program should be able to read English or we could accept that there are countries in which English is an uncommon language (such as France or Italy).
The problem is not with the translation of the interface strings, but with finding someone willing to work on the code and produce an efficient solution which would work with all kinds of languages
pncFreak

Post by pncFreak »

Nikioko wrote: And lo be honest: we can arrogantly claim that everybody who wants to use this program should be able to read English or we could accept that there are countries in which English is an uncommon language (such as France or Italy).
What I think is arrogant is to expect everything to be available in ones native language. English IS the international language people use to bridge the gap between other languages, and people who don't speak English miss out on a lot of things. So it's easy: either learn English and access a plethora of products, or don't - and miss out on a lot of things