Translating ScummVM ?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

md5 wrote: The problem is not with the translation of the interface strings, but with finding someone willing to work on the code and produce an efficient solution which would work with all kinds of languages
I already figured that out. Unfortunately I am not so proficient in that sort of stuff. But obviously it would have been easier to accomplished if people already thought about adding this feature when programming. I think, since there is no possibility for an access to an external txt file, the easiest way would be language patches that overwrite the texts in the compiled version.

pncFreak wrote: What I think is arrogant is to expect everything to be available in ones native language. English IS the international language people use to bridge the gap between other languages, and people who don't speak English miss out on a lot of things. So it's easy: either learn English and access a plethora of products, or don't - and miss out on a lot of things
What I think is arrogant is to believe that English is the universal language everybody has to understand. There are, for instance American blokes going to guy in Paris and asking him how to get to the Eiffel tower in English without even asking the other person whether he can speak English.
English is a lingua franca in many ways in the western world. But it is far away from being an universal language. And why does it have to be English? Why can't the guy in Paris expect the tourist to put their question in French?
By the way, I would like to see the reaction when you tell a 45 yo dairy farmer from the Camargue that he has to learn English. Your claim is so far from reality...
Last edited by Nikioko on Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Nikioko wrote:
md5 wrote: The problem is not with the translation of the interface strings, but with finding someone willing to work on the code and produce an efficient solution which would work with all kinds of languages
I already figured that out. Unfortunately I am not so proficient in that sort of stuff. But obviously it would have been easier to accomplished if people already thought about adding this feature when programming. I think, since there is no possibility for an access to an external txt file, the easiest way would be language patches that overwrite the texts in the compiled version.
The compiled version of which port? :) ScummVM has been ported to loads of platforms. Multiply that with the number of available languages and you'll end up with a huge amount of such patches...
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

md5 wrote: The compiled version of which port? :) ScummVM has been ported to loads of platforms. Multiply that with the number of available languages and you'll end up with a huge amount of such patches...
OK, I see that the problem fetches a bit further. But I would guess that most requests would come from Windows / Mac users rather than from Linux users.
pncFreak

Post by pncFreak »

Nikioko wrote: There are, for instance American blokes going to guy in Paris and asking him how to get to the Eiffel tower in English without even asking the other person whether he can speak English.
So I should expect every tourist in Oslo to ask for directions in Norwegian, because it is unknown for the tourists whether I, being a Norwegian living in Oslo, speak English?
Nikioko wrote:By the way, I would like to see the reaction when you tell a 45 yo dairy farmer from the Camargue that he has to learn English. Your claim is so far from reality...
I only said that people who don't master English miss out on things, and that they can't expect everything to be in ones native language. If a french dairy farmer don't need/want to learn English to pursue his spare time interests or work, well - good for him!
Last edited by pncFreak on Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Nikioko wrote:And why does it have to be English? Why can't the guy in Paris expect the tourist to put their question in French?
Because English is much much easier to learn than other languages. Compared to a lot of languages, its grammar is very very easy and straightforward. Plus, a lot of people speak it. I agree that it is rude to ask people in English, assuming everyone can speak it.

Bear in mind that people here are from all over the world, and we are communicating with each other in English, which most people know. I personally don't believe that it's arrogant to assume that most people speak English, it just helps bridge the linguistic gap among people from different countries. Plus, it would be complete and utter chaos if everyone started speaking in their native language... (e.g. I'm from Greece, and unfortunately not many people know my language, so I have to settle with English. Same goes for people from many other countries)
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

pncFreak wrote: So I should expect every tourist in Oslo to ask for directions in Norwegian, because it is unknown for the tourists whether I, being a Norwegian living in Oslo, speak English?
No, but I should expect a tourist at least to try ask the people in local language whether they can speak English or not. There are quite some places in the world where you are better off with Spanish, French, or Arab than with English. Have you ever been to Morocco or Nicaragua? I know a guy who got completely in China because nobody could speak any of English, German, Spanish, French, and Russian. So your believe that English helps you over the world is treacherous. I myself have the problem that many scientific publications are in Chinese and that I cannot read them.
md5 wrote: Because English is much much easier to learn than other languages. Compared to a lot of languages, its grammar is very very easy and straightforward. Plus, a lot of people speak it. I agree that it is rude to ask people in English, assuming everyone can speak it.
That applies on Esperanto as well. And that at least is a language, everybody would have to learn. As for English, there are so many slang words, American English, English English, Australian English, Pidgin English, different accents and dialects etc. Plus, irregular words and correct prepositions are not part of an easy and straightforward grammar.
But this shouldn't be a discussion about why people should learn English, but why a localization of ScummVM would make sense. The fact that it is difficult to accomplish is the main opposing argument.
pncFreak

Post by pncFreak »

Nikioko wrote: I myself have the problem that many scientific publications are in Chinese and that I cannot read them.
And the article abstracts in scientific journals are in which language?
Nikioko wrote: No, but I should expect a tourist at least to try ask the people in local language whether they can speak English or not.
And what would you understand of the reply you get?
I know for a fact that my "menu greek" or "menu thai" (i.e. rudimentary language skills) could be used for posing a question, but since the answer will be in respectively greek or thai I would not understand anything of the reply (because people often don't answer with the sentences one can learn in phrase books).
I'm quite glad that people tried to answer my english questions (after first saying hello in chinese) when I was in Macao, because I would not have understood anything of a reply in Portuguese or Chinese

Nikioko wrote: But this shouldn't be a discussion about why people should learn English, but why a localization of ScummVM would make sense. The fact that it is difficult to accomplish is the main opposing argument.
I wholeheartedly agree to this, but I found your remark on arrogance ("or we can arrogantly claim") quite hard to swallow.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

moderatorial: guys, offtopic
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Indeed. This is not the place to discuss languages.

Yes, translating (or rather, localizing) ScummVM to languages other than english would be nice.

As was stated here, currently the framework required for this is not there. There is an old patch for it on our patch tracker, but it is outdated and apparently nobody wants to work on it currently. Contributons are welcome, though!

Translating the binary version of ScummVM is *not* an option. It's a huge amount of work, would have to be redone with every release, and would be limited to a small selection of our ports.