Residual/Grime/GRIM FANDANGO

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

The JK editors that need JK to be installed might work with the demo of JK installed then maybe they would work with the demo, other than that I've got no more ideas.

Well I've got JK so if you give me the link to the editor I might be able to run it through wine and export the models from the GF demo.
Pirateguybrush

Post by Pirateguybrush »

If you could, that would be great.

http://www.massassi.net/programs/

It's called JED - the latest version has a broken link, but the one before it works. I doubt the demo would work, because it's designed for modding and also asks which drive has the CD.
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

Well JED was no good it's more for levels but also it has no export options, neither did any other program I found they all import from various .
http://www.jkhub.net/library/index.php/Tools:JOKE
This was the only one I found that worked for viewing the models, it doesn't quite understand the pallets for the textures.

I tried the Milkshape3D 3do importer but it didn't work but you could try emailing the author of the plugin to see if he can help you.
Pirateguybrush

Post by Pirateguybrush »

Ahh, thanks - I didn't see that one. I might see if I can work out what version of milkshape it was originally built for, and try and get a hold of that. Thanks again. I'll let you know what happens there - and if anyone else has ideas that would be helpful too, I have a feeling the full game models are going to be harder to access and I'd love to be able to get Glottis.
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

The 3do plugin is included in the Milkshape program and when you select to import Jedi Knight 3do it has the authors email address.
Pirateguybrush

Post by Pirateguybrush »

I'm using Milkshape 1.7 and I get "Mesh header read error". Are you able to email me a 3do file from JK so I can compare the two files and see if I can edit the GF ones to be the same format/standard? When opened in a text editor they're human-readable, so it should be possible and the two formats are probably not too far off being the same. My address is my username at gmail.com.

Edit: Sorry, we posted around the same time. I'll try this first, then I'll see if I can reach him by email. I'm not confident about getting help that way seeing as it was written in 2004 - but it can't hurt to try.

Edit: Before you do that, any chance you can confirm Milkshape will open the proper JK files? If that doesn't work, it complicates things further.
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

I've unintalled JK & Milkshape now (I had to use my parent pc as milkshape doesn't work in wine) and I'm not even sure how to extract the 3do files but you could get a JK 3do file from one of the mods around on jkhub.net or you could get a 3do file from the demo of JK.

I didn't actually try to open a JK 3do file.
Pirateguybrush

Post by Pirateguybrush »

Ah right, thanks - I'll track one down and experiment. :)
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

Just wondering why the Residual project or at least all it's wiki pages have moved out?
Espiox

Post by Espiox »

Looks like it's being split into a separate project from ScummVM, I guess?
aquadran
ScummVM Developer

Post by aquadran »

Espiox wrote:Looks like it's being split into a separate project from ScummVM, I guess?
Indeed, split is in the process.
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

Then I can stop having a heart attack.

*nurrrgh!*

That's better.
aquadran
ScummVM Developer

Post by aquadran »

Jan wrote:
Jimbob wrote:
Jan wrote: My programming skills are somewhat limited, to be honest, they're like...nonexistent. I don't know how to build an app anyway. Maybe if some very nice person would be so kind to share his/her great build with your noob Mac user from next door...me. :wink:
If I do get something to build I'll send you a PM. It's a bit of a silly thing for me to build because I don't have a copy of Grim Fandango!! I keep looking out for a cheap copy but I haven't found one yet.

Jimbob
That would make my year! I'll take you to your fave pub the next time I visit the UK and pay for the whole night. Promised. :D

For me it's exactly the other way round: I do own a copy of Grim Fandango for a few months now, bought only with the hope, the ScummVM wizards release an official OS X port of Residual.
There is official binary for intel look into downloads page:
http://residual.sourceforge.net/downloads.php
aquadran
ScummVM Developer

Post by aquadran »

Residual project now have a new home which is http://residual.sourceforge.net/

There is also irc channel #residual on freenode.
Project will have also own forum, but it will be configured few days later. So when forum will be ready, please start posting messages related Residual at new place.
soniq

Post by soniq »

as i haven't followed the development of residual, i find this very exciting. i have never played grim fandango or monkey4 so i'm really looking forward to this.

thank you for putting all this effort in your projects.