Subtitles in Woodruff

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

LunaVorax

Subtitles in Woodruff

Post by LunaVorax »

Hi there !

I'm sure you guys already know it but I found something interesting. I only looked into the INTRO.STK file with an hex editor and at the end of the file I found some subtitles oO!

I don't know if there is all of them, but there is a good part of the game. Also, the same is available in German and Spanish (I think it Spanish).

That's quite strang, does the developpers started to put subtitles in it and then got tired ?

Thanks in advance for your answers !
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

No idea if the subtitles are complete, but as far as I can see, the scripts don't try to print them in any case, and I can't find a variable set up with the correspondant resource IDs either. So there's no way to display them in ScummVM either, I'm afraid.
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

Well if you combine this with the idea in this thread:
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=7168

You would be able to use them right? Lots of work but then everything related to developing scummvm is a lot of work.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

Apart from the fact that subtitling every single spoken line is a lot of tedious work...

And that in Woodruff, the spoken lines are not separate audio files but within videos...

And that he hasn't proposed any way how his idea will hook in ScummVM, where the font will come from, where he'll get a palette entry of a well enough visible color from, where the text will be drawn on, i.e. that he has apparently no clue (yet?) about the inner workings of ScummVM.
He hasn't actually said that he plans to work on it, either. :P

All in all, I don't think that project has any real chances. I'm prepared to be proven wrong though. :)

Another thing: I'm actually not sure about the legal situation of distributing such subtitle files..