SMI music help

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

GJM

SMI music help

Post by GJM »

Hi there,

Trying to get Secret of Monkey Island to work on my PC. Got the CD version of the game, im running WinXP.

Downloaded ScummVM but couldnt get the game to work with any music/sfx untill i found this thread: http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=6556

So, have ripped the WMVs off the CD via WinMedia Player and turned them into mp3s with some freeware, called them 'track01' and so on, put them in a file with the other MI1 files.

Yay! Have music, but the game has become very glitchy. For example, entrance musics plays as does the music when talking to the blind bloke at the start, after that conversation Guybrush walks off screen and the game seems to miss out the 'Act One' cutscene, ActOne flashes up quickly but no music or anything. Then in Melee Town sfx play, great, but there is no music in the Scumm Bar.

Can anybody offer any suggestions? Thanks.
Graham
iPwnzorz

Post by iPwnzorz »

Eh. You say you ripped them as WMAs? No wonder it isn't working.

They need to be .MP3s afaik. WMAs won't work.
GJM

Post by GJM »

So, have ripped the WMVs off the CD via WinMedia Player and turned them into mp3s with some freeware, called them 'track01' and so on, put them in a file with the other MI1 files
:)
iPwnzorz

Post by iPwnzorz »

D'oh. I failed.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Convert the tracks directly to MP3s using Windows Media Player. Go to tools->options, Rip music tab, and change the audio ripping options there to MP3
GJM

Post by GJM »

Convert the tracks directly to MP3s using Windows Media Player. Go to tools->options, Rip music tab, and change the audio ripping options there to MP3
Thanks, thats seems to have worked, guess the freeware program messed up the MP3 conversion somewhere.

Finally got MI1 and 2 working, huzzah!

Cheers
katiesam77

Post by katiesam77 »

I followed the instructions to rip the audio to mp3 and put them in the same folder as the game files but it still tells me I need to get the audio and the game plays without music.

What have I done wrong?

Do the mp3s need to be ripped as a specific rate? I chose best quality.
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

katiesam77 wrote:I followed the instructions to rip the audio to mp3 and put them in the same folder as the game files but it still tells me I need to get the audio and the game plays without music.

What have I done wrong?

Do the mp3s need to be ripped as a specific rate? I chose best quality.
Have you renamed them to track1.mp3, track2.mp3...etc...?

Anyway, converting any of the 'lossy' formats (like .wma, .mp3 .aac, .ogg) to each other should be avoided at all costs. Even if it works fine. It is _horrible_ for audio quality.
If you want the freedom to convert your audio to other formats in the future without ending up with bad audio, rip it as .flac.
Staying away from .wma altogether is probably best. It doesn't excel at anything and nobody likes it except MS ;)