Two questions

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ChickenHound

Two questions

Post by ChickenHound »

This is a REAL n00bish question, but what is FluidSynth. I updated ScummVM recently and this is added to the list of audio drivers. What does it do?

Secondly, only MT-32 and Adlib work with Fate of Atlantis. I want to use my ESS 1969 ESFM Synthesizer card with with it but only Adlib plays. What is happening? :shock:
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Two questions

Post by eriktorbjorn »

ChickenHound wrote:This is a REAL n00bish question, but what is FluidSynth.
"FluidSynth is a real-time software synthesizer based on the SoundFont 2 specifications."

Basically, it's a way to play MIDI music on systems that do not otherwise support it. You need to specify a SoundFont file (in the ScummVM options dialog) for it to work. (I think it's also the only one to honor the "MIDI gain" setting. Depending on which SoundFont you use, you may want to adjust that one.)

I was thinking mainly of Linux and other Unix-like systems when I submitted a patch for ScummVM to (optionally) use it, since at least at the time MIDI support there seemed a bit spotty. I've actually hardly ever used it myself since my soundcard already has a built-in MIDI synth, and a sound driver that supports it.