Low Music Volume (in day of the tentacle, possibly others)

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Scapetti

Low Music Volume (in day of the tentacle, possibly others)

Post by Scapetti »

I wouldn't be surprised if this has been asked before but I did do a search and couldn't find anything helpful.

My problem is that the (adlib) music seems very low in comparison to the booming voices. I am aware that it is possible to change the volume for music and speech individually but I would like to have it at the CORRECT value, rather than just fiddle about with it myself.

Also, I've been given the impression that Adlib is the way to go when listening to music in games as they were intended but with Day of the Tentacle there is bird cheeping with Windows MIDI music? Should I just listen to it with that selected and solve both of my problems?

I just don't really like the idea of having different music to everyone else depending on my MIDI software. I just want to hear it how it is MEANT to be heard :(

If I should use Windows MIDI, can someone tell me which games to use Adlib for and which ones to use Windows MIDI for (or another alternative)? I have all LucasArts SCUMM games, thanks! :)
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

There is no standard setting fitting all games, since they were recorded quite differently.
You might notice it even the other way around in FOA, where the music is quite loud while the voice is rather soft.
Also wavetables sound different and even have different dynamic behavior, which makes it virtually impossible to state a correct setting. There's no way around tweaking it individually for each game.

The primary sound devices the soundtracks are composed for:
SID: Maniac Mansion, Zak McKracken
Adlib: Indy 3
Roland MT-32: Loom, Monkey 1, Monkey 2, FOA
Roland Soundcanvas SC-55: DOTT, Sam & Max
Later games have sampled music, hence no more hardware differences. Different recording levels may still appear, though.
ScummVM plays the Roland tracks on any General MIDI hardware, and while they usually sound better than Adlib, it is not exactly the sound, the composers intended.
Scapetti

Post by Scapetti »

Thanks a lot! Well in that case... can people post what volumes they use for each individual game?

I think ScummVM should include volume presets for each game, like so you can just click from a drop down (Default, Corrected, Mute, Custom etc.)

Surely that wouldn't be too hard to implement? ;)