How To Rip The 7th Guest Audio

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

simplesimon

How To Rip The 7th Guest Audio

Post by simplesimon »

I used ExactAudioCopy to rip the tracks for Gobliiins but only the track1 data shows up for 7th guest. They both have cd audio so I would think this method should work on both but maybe there is some trick or copy protection or something? Does anybody know?
spookypeanut
ScummVM Developer

Post by spookypeanut »

No, the tracks should just be plain old audio cd tracks. However, some users have reported versions that don't have the cd audio tracks on either disc (there is usually one on disc 2 as well), so it looks like you might have one of those I'm afraid.
simplesimon

Post by simplesimon »

Well the CD size is over 300 mb bigger than the total of all the visible data files so there has to be something on there. Plus I get audio when I play the game normally.
ShadowLord

Post by ShadowLord »

Did you try putting the CD in a normal CD player (the older the better)? A normal CD player will usually ignore any 'weird' or broken data sections so any audio track, if present, should show up on there.

I recently ripped the audio tracks of my 7th guest CD's (a version released under 'The White Label' by Virgin. They showed up correctly in EAC.

By the way, the CD audio is not very important in this game.
All the music while playig the game is either included in the FMV sequences or played through MIDI.
As far as I know, CD music is only played twice:
1) When you start a new game, before the introduction story begins and you see a shot of the house with some lightning.
2) When you complete the game and you see the credits. The song 'skeletons in my closet' is played. And I'm not even 100% sure that is played from the CD, since that song is almost at the end of the audio track on CD 2.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

I use CDex, although generally I hear EAC is the better of the 2.
http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/

Looks like they only have Windows binaries if that's OK although under source code it does say Download for all platforms.
Strange how the audio varies so much. I've read some posts about versions with a 3rd audio track which lasts for about a second and is just filled with silence.
Good luck.
ShadowLord

Post by ShadowLord »

Red_Breast wrote:I've read some posts about versions with a 3rd audio track which lasts for about a second and is just filled with silence.
Good luck.
Yeah, my version has a 'track 3' on the first CD which is very short and completely silent. My guess is that the developers decided to remove some CD audio at the last minute, but instead of altering the code (possibly introducing bugs), just choose to 'fake' the audio track :)
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

the CD size is over 300 mb bigger than the total of all the visible data files
Where does this CD come from ?
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

It seems pretty likely that this is a downloaded ISO version, as .iso files don't retain CD Audio information (at least as far as I know). If it is a legit copy then the only thing I can think of is that it's somehow physically damaged.