Help When Switching Discs on Curse of Monkey Island!

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

herbella314

Help When Switching Discs on Curse of Monkey Island!

Post by herbella314 »

Hi! I seem to having a bit of trouble playing Monkey Island 3. When I get to the point where you must switch discs after getting the map and your crew and your ship, it doesn't work and the gam freezes up and stops responding so that I have to force quit. I went to the wiki and it said to put both of the two CD's files into one file to make it work. However, I did that but then I get the 'debugger' message that tells me to type exit to return to the game or help. I tried typing both exit, and continue, but the game still freezes up.

Should I uninstall the game from ScummVM and then play the whole thing again? (I don't really want to do all of that again...but I guess I'll do what I must for the sake of playing this awesome game!)

Has anyone else had this issue?

Any other ideas on how to fix it?

Also, I'm using an iMac and I have the 13.0 version of ScummVM.

Thanks!
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

From what I remember disc swapping isn't supported in ScummVM.

To play Curse of Monkey Island what you need is to copy the files listed for the game here into a folder on your hard drive:

http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Datafiles

In this case the files are:

COMI.LA0 (From CD1 or CD2, it doesn't matter)
COMI.LA1 (From CD1)
COMI.LA2 (From CD2)
RESOURCE (Folder) (Copy the RESOURCE folder from CD1, then copy the contents of CD2's RESOURCE folder into the folder as well)

Then run ScummVM, remove Curse of Monkey Island from the list of games, and add it again from the new folder.
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

You did it wrong. You shouldn't merge the two different files with identical names into one, but rename them by adding a 1 or 2 and copy them to the same directory.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Nikioko wrote:You did it wrong. You shouldn't merge the two different files with identical names into one, but rename them by adding a 1 or 2 and copy them to the same directory.
I don't know where you got that from but it's wrong. For the Curse of Monkey Island, the files with the same name present on both CDs are actually identical, therefore you need to keep only one of them, and you should not rename any of the files.

The instructions given by Graxer are correct (and you can also find them in the manual).
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Nikioko wrote:You did it wrong. You shouldn't merge the two different files with identical names into one, but rename them by adding a 1 or 2 and copy them to the same directory.
No, that's for games where the CDs contain files that are different despite having the same name. (E.g. the speech files in Broken Sword 1.) In The Curse of Monkey Island, if a file appears on both CDs it should be identical, so it doesn't matter which one you pick. There is no need to rename it. In fact, it would probably be wrong to. ScummVM almost certainly doesn't look for the renamed file.