Monkey Island / PC Gamer connection?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

marzipan

Monkey Island / PC Gamer connection?

Post by marzipan »

One thing that's always confused me for years is the following piece on LucasArts' MI1 patches page:
IMPORTANT: If you are using the PC Gamer version of Monkey Island 1: The Secret of Monkey Island or Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge, please do not install this update. A special version of the 486 Fix was added to the PC Gamer version of these games. If you install this update with the PC Gamer version of these game, copy protection will be added to the game making it unplayable. If you install this update by mistake, please delete the game and reinstall a new version from PC Gamer.
Did PC Gamer (US edition I'm assuming) really give away both games at some point? There appears to be a PC Gamer disc dated July 2000 currently on eBay which includes MI1, but I swear the above text was present before 2000. That and MI2 doesn't appear to be on the disc also, so there could've been an earlier coverdisc perhaps. Anyone know anything about this chapter?
KuroShiro

Re: Monkey Island / PC Gamer connection?

Post by KuroShiro »

marzipan wrote:One thing that's always confused me for years is the following piece on LucasArts' MI1 patches page:
IMPORTANT: If you are using the PC Gamer version of Monkey Island 1: The Secret of Monkey Island or Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge, please do not install this update. A special version of the 486 Fix was added to the PC Gamer version of these games. If you install this update with the PC Gamer version of these game, copy protection will be added to the game making it unplayable. If you install this update by mistake, please delete the game and reinstall a new version from PC Gamer.
Did PC Gamer (US edition I'm assuming) really give away both games at some point? There appears to be a PC Gamer disc dated July 2000 currently on eBay which includes MI1, but I swear the above text was present before 2000. That and MI2 doesn't appear to be on the disc also, so there could've been an earlier coverdisc perhaps. Anyone know anything about this chapter?

Sort of. Around the release of Monkey Island 3 PC Gamer ran a issue featuring the game on the cover and such (I had the issue, but I have no idea where it or the CD are atm). On the demo cd that came with that issue there was a demo of MI3 and ecrypted versions of MI1&2 which I think you could pay a bit to unlock. If I recall they were a bit different than the original versions and at least MI1 had CD audio music tracks. I think it was called "Monkey Island Madness".
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

KuroShiro wrote:I think it was called "Monkey Island Madness".
The MI1 patch is for the VGA version, though, not the enhanced CD with CD audio.
Monkey Madness MI2 is indeed a cheaply hacked exe which not only skips the codewheel, but also the difficulty selection screen.

The worst hacked executables they released are German Maniac Mansion included with DOTT and with several compilations, though. You can't sent mail with those! I once asked the support because of that, and they merely sent me a link to a walkthrough site.

But who cares, we have ScummVM? The only interesting patches there are the Roland upgrades for Loom EGA and Monkey EGA, and the MIDI upgrade for DOTT, if you have the Adlib only version.
Besides that, my experience is, that those upgraded executables don't even work any better. Best thing to do here, if you encounter sound problems running the DOS versions is usually turn of the internal CPU cache in the BIOS setup and pass the parameter for the soundcard you use. It's a pity they don't even bother to upload their Windows port there.
Trojax

Post by Trojax »

Yeah I recall they released monkey island 1 and 2 at some point on one of their cds. They tossed in old games several times as I recall. They had the old ultimas once. I also vaguely recall some monkey they had on their installers around that time. What was his name.... Anyways its safe to say they like monkeys.
vasyl

Post by vasyl »

Sort of. Around the release of Monkey Island 3 PC Gamer ran a issue featuring the game on the cover and such (I had the issue, but I have no idea where it or the CD are atm). On the demo cd that came with that issue there was a demo of MI3 and ecrypted versions of MI1&2 which I think you could pay a bit to unlock. If I recall they were a bit different than the original versions and at least MI1 had CD audio music tracks. I think it was called "Monkey Island Madness".
Monkey Island Madness is a different thing. PC Gamer had just two games and asked for $20 (IIRC) for unlock. MI Madness was a bonus release for MI3 -- you had to send in a coupon and then you would get CD in mail for the cost of shipping. LucasArts was running a few similar promotions around that time: my copy of Grim Fandango came with DOTT and coupon for Full Throttle which I promptly used. Compared to other offers around, PC Gamer's one looked like a rip-off. Heck, I still have CGW cover disk with Betrayal at Krondor, Wizardry 6, Wasteland, Ultima 4, and Might and Magic I -- all of that at no extra charge!
Aractus

Post by Aractus »

Monkey 1 was the standard VGA floppy disk version, just with no copy protection. I don't know what they did to Monkey 2 though (KIXX applied a 2-byte patch to Monkey2.001 and MI Madness used an updated EXE file... considering they say not to instrall the update with PC Gamer's MI2 I'm guessing they used the Madness EXE file).