Monkey Island Madness

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PSP (PlayStation Portable) port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Winston1976

Monkey Island Madness

Post by Winston1976 »

Ok, I know this has been covered in another topic before, but I don't hear any music in The Secret of Monkey Island. I've copied monkey.000 and monkey.001 as stated, and can play the game however I can hear soundeffects but no music. I've played it on my computer and can hear the music perfectly. What am I doing wrong.
I also read something in another topic about encoding musictracks. I don't see any kind of tracks on the cd though.

The only files I have in the monkey island folder on my cd are:

monkey.000
monkey.001
adlib.ims
roland.ims
soundblas.ims
speaker.ims
monkey.exe
monkey.ini
monkey.pif
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

README.PSP
Winston1976

Post by Winston1976 »

No offense, but I wouldn't have posted anything if I would've found the answer myself. I also have the floppy version, and I can hear the music on that one, however the fx and the music sound way better on the madness version. I've read the text file that came with the scummvm engine, but I can't figure it out. I've played around with the settings for like an hour, but nothing changed. I'm not expecting a reply with a solution, causse I probably won't get one. :wink:
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

From README.PSP:

Code: Select all

Q:  My Monkey Island 1 doesn't have any music, what gives?
A:  If your version of Monkey Island came on a CD then it has the music
    as CD Audio tracks. You need to rip those to MP3/Ogg and copy them
    to the same directory as the game datafiles for music to work.
I don't see how I can possibly make it any more clearer, but please enlighten me.
The floppy version has music because it obviously doesn't use CD audio tracks.
Winston1976

Post by Winston1976 »

Sorry, I guess you're right. Somehow I couldn't find the readme.psp file anywhere.
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

It should be in the same archive as the ScummVM EBOOT(s).
If it was missing in yours, please tell me where you downloaded it so I can yell at certain people.
Winston1976

Post by Winston1976 »

Ok I understand now, I don't however see any audio files on the madness cd. I really don't get it. Am I that blind?
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

I'm not sure how technically literate you are, so I'll just assume the worst. Hope you don't mind. ;)

I assume you use Windows and you mean they won't show up for you in explorer... (if not, please me more specific)
As far as I know this is 'normal' and it doesn't really matter, as you'll need a seperate program to rip those tracks from the CD anyway.
Unfortunately, I can't give you any recommendations for this, as I've never done this on Windows.
However you should easily be able to find a suitable program via Google.

Once you've managed to extract the audio from the CD and encode it to mp3 or ogg, you should make sure the files are named properly i.e. the first track should be track1.mp3, the second track2.mp3, etc.
This is also described in the regular ScummVM README (which should be included in the archive as well) and is actually easier than it sounds.
Winston1976

Post by Winston1976 »

Ok, i got it. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I just assumed that maybe the files were in a hidden folder or something, but they just wouldnt show up in the explorer. But I figured it out now, thanks and again sorry. :oops:
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

CDex is a good and free program to rip mp3s from CD on Windows.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdexos/

The CDex sourceforge project is pretty much dead and it hasn't had an update in ages, but its there for you to download.
Steamo

Post by Steamo »

can't you just use iTunes?