List of games that support MT-32 music

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

zorbid

Post by zorbid »

There used to be a legend for the GM, but it was removed along the way. It meant "the score was composed on a GM synth" according to Wikipedia.

Thanks for the info.
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

Kirben wrote:Simon the Sorcerer 2 (DOS versions) actually offered separate music tracks for GM and MT-32.
You sure? I extracted the MIDI soundtrack some time ago and only found one set of GM files. And playing the game with a MT-32 doesn't give the impression that the LA soundtrack is a distinct one. Mm, I must give this another try.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

zorbid wrote:There used to be a legend for the GM, but it was removed along the way. It meant "the score was composed on a GM synth" according to Wikipedia.

Thanks for the info.
Maybe I'm blind but I can't find any reference on wikipedia, that the HoF soundtrack was composed on/for a General MIDI synth.
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

Kaminari wrote:
Kirben wrote:Simon the Sorcerer 2 (DOS versions) actually offered separate music tracks for GM and MT-32.
You sure? I extracted the MIDI soundtrack some time ago and only found one set of GM files. And playing the game with a MT-32 doesn't give the impression that the LA soundtrack is a distinct one. Mm, I must give this another try.
Yes, there are two sets of 93 music tracks (in XMIDI format) in the SIMON2.GME file, for DOS versions.

I recall the original sound setup program didn't always select the correct set of music though.
Pix2

Post by Pix2 »

LordHoto wrote:
zorbid wrote:There used to be a legend for the GM, but it was removed along the way. It meant "the score was composed on a GM synth" according to Wikipedia.

Thanks for the info.
Maybe I'm blind but I can't find any reference on wikipedia, that the HoF soundtrack was composed on/for a General MIDI synth.
I asked this question a while back on the Sierra Music Central website. The guy in charge of that site talked to Frank Klepacki when creating his enhanced soundtrack and he definitely said that it was composed for an SC-55.

The MT-32 versions still sound as good, if not better though. Westwood did a great job converting them.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Timing problems causing buffer overflows should be fixed in ScummVM. Track which may crash the device may not be fixable without redoing the faulty MIDI files. So far, my first gen MT-32 didn't crash with ScummVM, though. (I played all MT-32 supporting LucasArts adventures, BASS, Simon 1 & 2 and Flight of the Amazon Queen in ScummVM using my MT-32.)
Digging up an old thread, sorry

Could some of you (LogicDeLuxe?) who have DOTT available check their first gen MT-32 with it for a lock up?

I provided a savegame and the steps to reproduce in this bugtracker item

My MT-32 hardware information is also in there

Thank you very much
Collector

Post by Collector »

It works fine on my Win7 64 with 1.2.1 and using today's build.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Just for the sake of completeness, what serial number is printed on your device?

Thank you
Collector

Post by Collector »

It begins with 89
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Ok, one of the devices with no headphone jack and from the same line as mine...damn... :-(

could you lastly tell me your .ini settings for the MT-32?
(Not that it matters much, i tried every setting and it always locks up)

Thank you again for your time
Collector

Post by Collector »

native_mt32=true
mt32_device=mt32
gm_device=windows_SB Audigy MIDI IO [CF00]
music_driver=windows_SB Audigy MIDI IO [CF00]

The "SB Audigy MIDI IO [CF00]" is my sound card's MPU-401 compatible device. Could it be more of a platform issue?
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

Tried the save in linux and it works.
MT-32 serial number: 847603
git 3797971

I'm using a USB midi cable (my audigy2 sucks and doesn't have a port)
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Thank you both.

With some more digging i found a workaround which, as Collector suggested, only affects the CAMD driver.

I updated the bug report and hope that one of the more insight devs can help me out.

Thanks again for your time.