LOOM sound not working

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

cyonge

LOOM sound not working

Post by cyonge »

having some minor trouble with the game LOOM. i copied the files and the game works fine but there is NO sound. i checked the audio options and everything is golden and i cant see any files that i would've forgot to copy- i mean there were only like 7 files anyway.

anyone know what i should do? thanx
Collector

Post by Collector »

Which version of the game?
cyonge

Post by cyonge »

cd rom
Mataku

Post by Mataku »

the sound for this version is from a cd audio. so either play with the cd in the drive, or rip the audio to mp3\ogg
cyonge

Post by cyonge »

okay i'll try that. thank u
PariahKing

Post by PariahKing »

Hi, I'm trying to play the VGA/CD/DOS version of Loom but have to rip the audio. I tried a freeware program and I put the 53:58 minute long or so file in to the Loom folder but it only plays sound with the CD in the drive. The track file it saved as when ripped by the program is Track 01. Should I rename it or place it somewhere else?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

PariahKing wrote:The track file it saved as when ripped by the program is Track 01. Should I rename it or place it somewhere else?
Rename it. ScummVM won't find it if there's a space in the file name. It will look for, in this order, track1.flac, track1.fla, track1.ogg, track1.mp3, track01.flac, track01.fla, track01.ogg, and track01.mp3. The different extensions (.mp3, .flac, etc.) indicate if it's an MP3, Ogg Vorbis or FLAC file.

By default, Windows won't show the extension of file types it thinks it recognizes so, for instance, track1.mp3 may show up as just track1. This is supposedly to avoid confusing people, but in my opinion it's a big, fat failure since it has made some mistakenly name the file track1.mp3.mp3. Which ScummVM won't find. (Even worse might be something like track1.mp3.wma, since it would look like an MP3 file, but is not. I hear that used to be a common trick for disguising trojan horses as harmless files.)
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

To always show all file extensions go to
Tools > Folder options > View
in your file browser and disable "hide extensions for known file types"
eriktorbjorn wrote:I hear that used to be a common trick for disguising trojan horses as harmless files.)
Ah yes..... hotchicks.jpg.exe or activationkey.txt.vbs.... good times......
PariahKing

Post by PariahKing »

Oh wow, hahaha. That was incredibly stupid of me - all I had to do was rename it from Track 1 to Track1. Massive face palm.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it. Works great.
StrangerSVN

Post by StrangerSVN »

Hello. I also have the CD version of Loom. I've mounted the file. If I play it the normal way, that is double click and go, without ScummVM, the sound appears to be at times incomplete. Does anyone know the solution for that? I'm running on XP.

The alternative would be using ScummVM, but I have no idea how to rip audio and get to "Track1" or something similar you talk about. Could anyone please elaborate on that?

Thanks for your help.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

StrangerSVN wrote:Hello. I also have the CD version of Loom. I've mounted the file. If I play it the normal way, that is double click and go, without ScummVM, the sound appears to be at times incomplete. Does anyone know the solution for that? I'm running on XP.

The alternative would be using ScummVM, but I have no idea how to rip audio and get to "Track1" or something similar you talk about. Could anyone please elaborate on that?

Thanks for your help.
You can rip audio using Media Player, CDEx or similar tools. You usually don't need to do anything more yourself, other than telling the program the format to save the songs in (i.e. MP3, OGG or FLAC)
StrangerSVN

Post by StrangerSVN »

In the Loom directory, there is a map named Original Soundtrack. Inside I've got two maps, Loom FM Towns soundtrack, and Loom Game Soundtrack. They've both got 9 songs of .ogg format. Should I conbine them together into one file, using windows media player? And I should name that file Track1?
StrangerSVN

Post by StrangerSVN »

md5, thank you. I think I made it. Thanks a lot. In order to help other people, I'll write what worked for me.

Basically I've got two types of this game: Loom (100mb) and Loom Enhanced (421mb). The latter one being the CD version. But since the CD version's audio went out of sync several times during the game, I had to fix the ordinary Loom that is played via ScummVM. Using WMP I ripped music from the CD version into mp3 format and named it Track1. 1=one. I put that Track1.mp3 into the folder of my game files, which for me it was E:\Games\Loom\Game. Then I loaded the game with ScummVM and that's it. I didn't change any audio settings within the ScummVM itself.

I hope I didn't just repeat the words of my predecessors that struggled on this problem and that someone finds this comment useful.

Cheers.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

StrangerSVN wrote:In the Loom directory, there is a map named Original Soundtrack. Inside I've got two maps, Loom FM Towns soundtrack, and Loom Game Soundtrack. They've both got 9 songs of .ogg format. Should I conbine them together into one file, using windows media player? And I should name that file Track1?
Sorry, we don't support illegally obtained versions
TheQL

Re: LOOM sound not working

Post by TheQL »

Sorry to cannibalize this thread... I am just wondering about the FM-Towns track naming. The first audio track is track 2 on the CD. So when I rip this I end up with track02-19 but then the wrong song plays on the opening scene, the 2nd audio track apparently needs to be played. So I named the tracks 01-18, but now I wonder if this is correct and when track01 will actually be played.

I tried to figure it out from the wiki and the user documentation, but I was never confident this is now set up correctly.