not able to save a sq1 game

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

MrFawlty

not able to save a sq1 game

Post by MrFawlty »

Hi guys,

first of all, great work you have done there. I'm using ScummVM for a long time now and have had pleasant hours with my favourite adventure games.

Now to the problem:
I'm not able to save a game of Space Quest 1, anyone's got a tip for me? (Maybe I'm just too stupid?) It just says, that a save file could not be created.

Regards,

Basil
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

It works fine for me, so if you provided a bit more information, such as your game version, platform, and scummvm version I think people would have an easier time helping you.

The only obvious thing I can think of is to make sure your save game directory is somewhere scummvm is able to write files (check Options->Paths from the Scummvm launcher). If you are running Vista this could be an issue. Otherwise it's probably a bug.
MrFawlty

Post by MrFawlty »

You are right... :wink: I'm using 0.13.1 under XP and it's Space Quest (2.2 1987-05-07 DOS/English)

I changed the game path to c:\, so there shouldn't be a problem. Anyway, I tried several paths, none works.

I checked also if there is was write-protection anywhere (you can never know), but there isn't.
Collector

Post by Collector »

You aren't trying to play from a CD, are you?
MrFawlty

Post by MrFawlty »

No, of course not. :wink:
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

Try downloading the latest development (SVN) version at the bottom of the download page.

If it still doesn't work, you should probably file a bug report.
MrFawlty

Post by MrFawlty »

Nope, doesn't work with the Daily either. The Error message is in-game, telling me "Error saving game."

The Amigaversion works fine, saving and restoring is possible. But because of several reasons I'd prefer the EGA version, and playing SQ without saving is quite impossible. ;)

I'll look for another source for the game and try again before I send in a bug report.

As you may have realized, I'm using the in-game save function, because it pops up when I hit F5.
Normally, the ScummVM save menu would appear, wouldn't it?

Other games are savable without problems (but I didn't try the in-game saving).
Mud

Post by Mud »

^^^

You can use the ScummVM save menu by pressing control + F5. See if that works. ;)
MrFawlty

Post by MrFawlty »

The menu pops up, saving seems possible. But when you try to restore, there's no saved game in the list. A game from another source doesn't work either, same with the coco3 version... :(

This is getting peculiar.
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

MrFawlty wrote:The menu pops up, saving seems possible. But when you try to restore, there's no saved game in the list. A game from another source doesn't work either, same with the coco3 version... :(

This is getting peculiar.
I am quite sure you have mis-configured SOMETHING. I just can't be sure what it is.
I would do the following (Waring, you will lose all your savegames):

1. Nuke everything.
Remove C:\Program Files\ScummVM (and all other dirs you may have installed ScummVM to).
Also remove C:\Documents and Settings\[user]\Application Data\ScummVM (this is the config file)

2. Reinstall ScummVM. Make a new shortcut from the .exe to your desktop.

3. Re-add your games and try to play.
Only use ScummVM's save/load dialogue (F5 or ctrl-F5)

If this doesn't work, there is some serious voodoo going on.
Last edited by bobdevis on Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MrFawlty

Post by MrFawlty »

Will do. Actually, I already did, but didn't clear up %path%\[user]\Application Data\ScummVM - I'll check tomorrow, its almost 1:30 here.

bobdevis wrote: If this doesn't work, there is some serious voodoo going on.
In that case, I'll jump into my coffin and ask the Voodoo-Lady for help. But I think my name's the curse... ;)

All other stuff works fine, including saving and restoring!