Spy Fox saving?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Jon God

Spy Fox saving?

Post by Jon God »

I am sure this has been asked before, but you can only save in Spy Fox via the Spy Watch, correct? (e.g. Not from the F5 menu?)

Also, every time I start ScummVM, and load Spy Fox 2 it gives me a 'Save location not defined' or something message, even with it is clearly defined, I made sure by trying a few folders.

This just an error, or what?
bobdevis

Re: Spy Fox saving?

Post by bobdevis »

Jon God wrote:I am sure this has been asked before, but you can only save in Spy Fox via the Spy Watch, correct? (e.g. Not from the F5 menu?)

Also, every time I start ScummVM, and load Spy Fox 2 it gives me a 'Save location not defined' or something message, even with it is clearly defined, I made sure by trying a few folders.

Are you using the newest version of ScummVM(1.0.0 rc1)? There was this bug with the save path of some games in the SVN versions, but it should be gone now.
Jon God

Re: Spy Fox saving?

Post by Jon God »

bobdevis wrote:
Jon God wrote:I am sure this has been asked before, but you can only save in Spy Fox via the Spy Watch, correct? (e.g. Not from the F5 menu?)

Are you using the newest version of ScummVM(1.0.0 rc1)? There was this bug with the save path of some games in the SVN versions, but it should be gone now.
I am using the Mac universal version from the downloads page. That is 1.0.0 rc1
rosetaylor01

Post by rosetaylor01 »

yes you are absolutely correct you can only save in Spy Fox via the Spy Watch.
Is there any problem in this??

[MOD EDIT: Removing spam link signature]
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

rosetaylor01 wrote:yes you are absolutely correct you can only save in Spy Fox via the Spy Watch.
Is there any problem in this??
It's listed as a known problem in the README file:

Code: Select all

Humongous Entertainment games:
  - Only the original load and save interface can be used.
  - No support for printing images
(Though I might not have noticed that myself, if I hadn't already heard about it.)
Mataku

Post by Mataku »

I played all of Humongous' games on scummvm and I saved and loaded with the scummvm menu with no problems (on the PC, at least), so what gives?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Mataku wrote:I played all of Humongous' games on scummvm and I saved and loaded with the scummvm menu with no problems (on the PC, at least), so what gives?
I'm not familiar with the hows and whys of it, but on July 23, there was this commit message, which I assumes is behind it:

"Fix bug #1726909 - HE Games: Glitches after loading saved games, by restircting HE games to their original load/save interface."
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Confirmed.

Latest version can still bring up the ScummVM menu, bur SAVE is ghosted out
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

Mataku wrote:I played all of Humongous' games on scummvm and I saved and loaded with the scummvm menu with no problems (on the PC, at least), so what gives?
Yeah I thought I remembered using the save menu before.

Oh, interesting, I wonder why the save menu was grayed out in favor of in game saving...
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Jon God wrote:
Yeah I thought I remembered using the save menu before.

Oh, interesting, I wonder why the save menu was grayed out in favor of in game saving...
Because you could load and save the game at unexpected times, which could lead to graphics corruption. The original games did some initializations in their original save/load screens
Dark_Oppressor

Post by Dark_Oppressor »

So, am I correct in saying that these games won't ever be able to be saved using the ScummVM save system again? I know I used it before, as I've still got a couple of saves from back in 2007 sometime that use the ScummVM save menu. Funny looking, since I can't save new games that way.
robotjox

too bad...

Post by robotjox »

this is too bad - Some of the old Putt-Putt games that my kids love to play don't have a save game feature and I was hoping to achieve this with scummvm - but if I find an old version, this will work then?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: too bad...

Post by eriktorbjorn »

robotjox wrote:Some of the old Putt-Putt games that my kids love to play don't have a save game feature
Just out of curiosity, which ones are that? (The only one I have is Putt-Putt Travels Through Time, and in that one you can save and load by pressing the S and L keys respectively.)
robotjox

Post by robotjox »

don't I feel stupid now :oops:
You are totally right - thanks for clearing that up for me - and thanks for a great application that lets me play some great old windows games on Linux :)
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Re: too bad...

Post by Raziel »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
robotjox wrote:Some of the old Putt-Putt games that my kids love to play don't have a save game feature
Just out of curiosity, which ones are that? (The only one I have is Putt-Putt Travels Through Time, and in that one you can save and load by pressing the S and L keys respectively.)
In "Putt-Putt joins the Parade" CD Version (3DO) 1.0 11/19/92 this doesn't work.
Only the "Q" key gives ingame information and the debugger key (#) works. None of the other keys do though, thus no saving/loading possible.

All the other Putt-Putt games (including "Putt-Putt goes to the Moon" (3DO)) work, so it can't be a problem with the 3DO version.