Question about MT-32 emulation...

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

The Spoony Hou

Post by The Spoony Hou »

Ok. Thanks for your time :).

Well, time to go hunting some Roland stuff 8).
JohnnyWalker2001

Post by JohnnyWalker2001 »

LogicDeLuxe wrote:Also there is a Virtual Sound Canvas (expiring Demo available), which is a software version (unfortunately not for DOS games as they usually need an MPU401 port). It has the advantage that you don't need to build in any (old) hardware. Though the sound quality is notably worse than that of the hardware solutions, imho.
Does ScummVM support the Virtual Sound Canvas? There's a copy on ebay I'm tempted by. Also, how much worse quality would you say it is?

It's so frustrating that Roland haven't produced a small PCI hardware replacement... I could buy a Commodore64 SID chip for my PC, but not an MT-32 one. Very sad :(
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

JohnnyWalker2001 wrote:Does ScummVM support the Virtual Sound Canvas?
Any Windows software should.
There's a copy on ebay I'm tempted by. Also, how much worse quality would you say it is?
It's 22050 Hz sample frequency while the Roland hardware is at 32000 Hz, iIrc. You should try to find the demo version.
Imho, due to its low sample frequency, it's not any better than the synthesizer which comes with Windows.
JohnnyWalker2001

Post by JohnnyWalker2001 »

Well I tried it and I've got to say that I pleasantly surprised! It sounds a million times better than it used to (IMO). Thanks!