Simon Sorcerer CD32 - works in SVM but not WinUAE or Amiga?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

Well part of ScummVM is a source port others are reverse engineered which is the same end result for what this diagram is trying to show.
Cutlass

Post by Cutlass »

Fair enough, but I would suggest "Software reimplementation" (or just "Reimplementation" for space purposes) as the title and "program reimplementation" instead of "source port" in the case of ScummVM. It looks more accurate, corresponds with "program executable" and is easier to the lay person who would have no clue what "source port" means.
maximus

Post by maximus »

bobdevis wrote:Eeeh, sorry Maximus. I was kind of working ahead of you.. Thought I'd include the bare-metal VM, since that's a fundamentally different concept.

Any more comments, additions, embarrassing errors?
Your second attempt is much nicer, so ignore mine :P A couple suggestions though: (1) I would change the order you present them; Now that you have "native environment", you should order the columns so they go from "quickest" to "slowest" (as far as overhead is concerned). (2) Maybe call "Source Ports" "Engine Re-implementations" instead? (3) For "native", the bullet points may need a bit of clarification. Maybe something like:
* Fastest execution
* May become unstable under newer versions of the target operating system.

Also, if you can fit it in, maybe add a few more examples:

VM: Parallels, QEMU
Bare-Metal: Citrix XEN Server
OS/HW: UAE/WinUAE?
Source-Port: Pentagram
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

OK, final update I hope. Now I'll look into getting it on the wiki's
Here is the bundle with the svg vector file;
virtual.concept.zip
Cutlass wrote:ScummVM is not correctly called a "source port" insofar as the SCUMM part was reverse engineered.
I changed the description a bit so it includes reimplementations. To go futher into this is a bit outside de scope of an overvieuw diagram
maximus wrote: I would change the order you present them; Now that you have "native environment", you should order the columns so they go from "quickest" to "slowest" [...]
For "native", the bullet points may need a bit of clarification. Maybe something like: * Fastest execution[...]
Also, if you can fit it in, maybe add a few more examples:[...]
About the order: The last one is best alternative, that looks the best way to present it to me.
About native: Strictly speaking native doesn't have to be the fastest. There are some exotic examples where a VM on the same hardware is faster then native.
About the examples: How could I have forgotten my old time favourites DPQuake and Doomsday. They are highly reccomeded if you have Quake1 or Doom, Doom2, Hexen, Heretic collecting dust.
Last edited by bobdevis on Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

bobdevis wrote:OK, final update I hope. Now I'll look into getting it on the wiki's
I see at least two typos: "completely" is spelled wrong in the source port section and "to" should be "too" in the native environment and source port sections.
maximus

Post by maximus »

bobdevis wrote:OK, final update I hope. Now I'll look into getting it on the wiki's
Maybe split the descriptions logically into "pros" and "cons" for each? Not sure if that's doable (space-wise), but it would help people who aren't familiar with the subject matter ...
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

clone2727 wrote:"to" should be "too" in the native environment and source port sections
The one in the source port section is still there.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

bobdevis,
a pity you never replied to my email :/. Well, I still think your picture would fit nicely on e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source_port
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

Yeah.I'm sorry.
The comment in the GIF and the text in the SVG outside the canvas, say I'm totally OK with it.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Great. Can you maybe make one more revision, though, with the "to" vs. "too" spelling mistake in the source port description corrected? :)
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

It happened.
Apologies for this being so drawn out. I am slightly dyslectic, English is not my mothers tongue and Inkscape does not have a spell check ;)