Option To Change Screen Resolution??

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

simplesimon

Option To Change Screen Resolution??

Post by simplesimon »

I love this program and it's a great idea that can only expand indefinitely but one option it desperately needs is the ability to change screen resolution. Apparently ScummVM's default fullscreen resolution is 640x480 but my computer monitor cannot display this resolution. The lowest it can go is 800x600. Every other emulator I've ever used has the option to change resolutions. It seems to be a pretty basic option. If you need an idea of how to implement this you might can look at the dosbox code which not only allow you to choose from a list of basic resolutions but also to input customized resolutions. Please consider making this option available so that I (and I'm sure many others) can start using this excellent program in fullscreen.
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

Use a 3x filter rather than a 2x filter, I think games that were originally 320x200 are doubled in size by default.
simplesimon

Post by simplesimon »

That's a sloppy solution at best and doesn't work at all for fm-towns games or games like Feeble Files which when using a 3x filter the windowed screen is bigger than my monitor and won't go to fullscreen. Also it only works with the other games because they aren't 4:3 aspect so any of the top or bottom that gets cut off doesn't affect game visibility. This should be a simple BASIC option available for this emulator considering it is available in every other emulator out there.
hkzlab
ScummVM Developer

Post by hkzlab »

First of all, ScummVM is NOT an emulator.
Regarding the "resolution changing" problem, there was some discussion regarding a scaler which could support arbitrary aspect ratio and scale ratio, but there is the need of good, efficient, clean and portable code code: it's not as easy as "go look at program XYZ and implement feature Q, it's BASIC".
If you feel up to the task, you can try to code it yourself and submit a patch to our tracker :)
simplesimon

Post by simplesimon »

hkzlab wrote:First of all, ScummVM is NOT an emulator.

A technicality.
hkzlab wrote:Regarding the "resolution changing" problem, there was some discussion regarding a scaler which could support arbitrary aspect ratio and scale ratio, but there is the need of good, efficient, clean and portable code code: it's not as easy as "go look at program XYZ and implement feature Q, it's BASIC".
If you feel up to the task, you can try to code it yourself and submit a patch to our tracker :)
Wish I could help out but it is good to see that this feature is at least on the backburner.
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

I would appreciate a 5x/6x filter so that 320x200 fits on 1600x1200 without pixel interpolation. Or at least a 4x/5x filter so that it fits on 1280x1024 without interpolation.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

simplesimon wrote:That's a sloppy solution at best and doesn't work at all for fm-towns games or games like Feeble Files which when using a 3x filter the windowed screen is bigger than my monitor and won't go to fullscreen. Also it only works with the other games because they aren't 4:3 aspect so any of the top or bottom that gets cut off doesn't affect game visibility. This should be a simple BASIC option available for this emulator considering it is available in every other emulator out there.
Do tell, as I'm very curious, can you tell us which emulators constitute "every other emulator" in this case?