Does ScummVM 0.8.1 Run Games at 333MHZ?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PSP (PlayStation Portable) port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

youmeus

Does ScummVM 0.8.1 Run Games at 333MHZ?

Post by youmeus »

I am having problems with COMI, It lags in certain scenes. So I want to know if ScummVM 0.8.1 runs games at the fast PSP speed 333 or if it is the default speed it runs games at? If it is the slower speed (222MHZ) anyone know how to increase speed in this game? I have a 1.5 PSP and I am using ScummVM 0.8.1

Thanks
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

Running COMI at 333mhz does indeed help a great deal.

All official ScummVM releases run at the default (222mhz) clockspeed, however, if you want I can put up an 'unsupported' 333mhz build of ScummVM 0.8.2 (when it's released).
youmeus

Post by youmeus »

@joostp Yes please, I would like that as this game is alot of fun and the lag takes away from the overall game, can you give an estimate as to when this new release will come?
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

Probably within 24 hours.
youmeus

Post by youmeus »

Wow...that's wonderful news, I thought you would say 2 weeks from now (smile) keep up the great work man, I will be looking out for your release
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

Since 0.8.2 has just been released, you can grab the unofficial build of ScummVM 0.8.2 that runs at 333mhz here

The only difference with the official 0.8.2 release is that it runs at 333mhz (and the version string is altered to reflect this).

Obviously I recommend its use only for COMI at the moment as it's otherwise untested and will, ofcourse, drain your battery faster. (although someone might want to check how much difference this makes for the Broken Sword cutscenes - I guess it's not that much)
youmeus

Post by youmeus »

joostp, thank you very much, I am DLing now, will try broken sword and COMI and report back any issues.[/b]
flarty

Post by flarty »

you only changed the date on it comi is still lagging on it unbelievably so especially at the banjo duel.
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

flarty wrote:you only changed the date on it

No, I didn't. But thanks for accusing me of lying.
If this is the thanks I get for trying to do people a favour, then it'll be the last time.
flarty wrote:comi is still lagging on it unbelievably so especially at the banjo duel.
Nowhere did I say it makes COMI perfect. Some scenes (including the one you mentioned) are still too slow, but it should atleast make it better.
It definitely isn't "lagging unbelieveably" here except for a handfull of scenes.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

joostp wrote:
flarty wrote:you only changed the date on it

No, I didn't. But thanks for accusing me of lying.
If this is the thanks I get for trying to do people a favour, then it'll be the last time.
Very nice. This really encouraged joostp for making custom builds by request. Very nice. Thank you.

Eugene
sfaok

Post by sfaok »

As someone whose completed CoMI on a 333mhz build I can safely say its very playable with only one or two notable areas where the lag is overly intrusive (The banjo duel being the chief offender). I don't understand how you wouldn't be able to notice a difference before reaching that scene anyway; the difference between the 222mhz and 333mhz builds are rather obvious imo when it comes to CoMI.

On another note, I tried BS1 & 2 briefly and can say that the cut-scenes do run better, most notably on BS2 where the intro runs very very well with very little lag, BS1 intro runs ok as well, which is good enough for me. I think I'll get my teeth stuck into those two at some point soon. I'd say to those holding back from playing the BS games to give this build a go and see what they think.

I noticed one minor bug in BS1 (maybe in 2 as well, not tested it yet though), when switching to the menu screen and back, the display will corrupt (usually alot of white pixels) and stay corrupted until either reloading the save or exiting the screen.

And once again joostp, thanks for the 333 build. I, for one, am always grateful that you go the extra mile to provide these builds.
Track505

Post by Track505 »

Thanks joostp. !!! 8)
youmeus

Post by youmeus »

joostp, as the person who initially made the request for the 333 build I will apologize for flirty’s silly comment . I have gotten time to test COMI and it is RUNNING a lot better with this build. In fact I will be using the 333 version for all my games. Flirty probably just went straight to the banjo scene and did not pay attention to the overall increase in performance. Please don’t make this discourage further help as I was very impressed with your willingness to assist my singular request and also your speedy delivery. KEEP UP THE EXCELENT WORK MATE!
kraft

Post by kraft »

as a FW 2.5 user i havent been able to play these games as of yet but im glad to know that scummvm is there for when i need it when they Fanjita fixes the ELoader to perform better.

Thanks Joostp :!: keep up all the work, dont let people get to you :!:
blocq

Post by blocq »

awesome! just saw that version with 333mhz! nice work dude! thanks alot