Kings Quest 5

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer

Post by m_kiewitz »

bambamfox wrote:are you contented now??????? jeeez...
OOOH wait - this images can be manipulated .... pls ban user!!
we didnt lock the thread at all, so calm your horses.

we are working on scummvm for free and we don't like to support pirates at all. The contents of your CD were pretty suspicious - the whole case actually was - let's see, there are at least 3 releases of kq5 from kixx xl. For the 2nd CD release, they changed the CD contents "for fun", added a simple batch file for installing instead of using the sierra installer. They even included the sierra installer inside the packed file. They even packed the game despite it's only 9MB in total which doesn't make sense. And they renamed sierra.exe/scidhuv.exe to kq5.exe. Pretty weird release in any case.

On the other side we get accused of pirating. Pretty funny topic.

Still to return to the actual problem - King's Quest 5 CD works fine using latest daily build - I was even able to complete the game some weeks ago. Where does it crash exactly? Could you please check if there is a "version" file included with your release and post its contents? That way we can make sure that one of us has the same version and check. I don't have KQ5 floppy, but perhaps someone else has it. What languages are available in your version of KQ5?
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

M-kiewitz - you weren't the one who was logged coming through, and the files in question were not sierra related at all.

I'd be happy to post the actual evidence, but then i'm sure I'll just be banned and everyone will pretend I was never here.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Guys, relax.

bambambox believe me, this is a really weird release you got. Please go with your problem to our bugtracker, still take note, that SCI engine is not yet supported.

There are tons of people who get games from the internet in zipped form, that's why your words "I extracted the zipped mainfolder" rang the bell.

The problem with pirated games is not in us, we are not the police. We just want to have our project ongoing, thus any discussions of illegal game copies, as well, as support requests from users who obviously came with such copies are prohibited here. We want to sleep in peace.

Let me explain, as I did it many times in the past. There are lawyers of companies, particularly from LucasArts, who repeatedly try to shut the project down. Thus if someone is insisting on having these discussions here should think twice, whether he/she really wants to harm the project. Right, harm the project. If they lawyers will see us giving support to clear pirates, we're doomed. Another reason (though not so important) is that we don't want to deal with versions with cracked protection, as that is also good chance for persecution, and additionally may easily introduce side effects to the game if not done properly. Supporting those would be unnecessary burden for the team.

Eugene
bambamfox

Post by bambamfox »

I absolutely understand you guys, so don't worry ^^
m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer

Post by m_kiewitz »

The issue should now be solved (thanx to waltervn).
Luminious

Post by Luminious »

[quote="scoriae"]Glad to see you came back bambamfox and showed these guys your legal copy. Most of the devs and long timers around here treat everyone like a pirate if they ask or mention anything that they themselves have never heard of before.
quote]

Naww, md5 is just a douche. We all get used to it
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Luminious wrote:
scoriae wrote:Glad to see you came back bambamfox and showed these guys your legal copy. Most of the devs and long timers around here treat everyone like a pirate if they ask or mention anything that they themselves have never heard of before.
quote]

Naww, md5 is just a douche. We all get used to it
Are you trying to provoke me, Mr. Troll? Go play elsewhere, I won't fall for your flamebait

m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer

Post by m_kiewitz »

Luminious wrote:Naww, md5 is just a douche. We all get used to it

Go away