Tales of Monkey island...on scummvm?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

Use the search function on this forum. There has been quite some talk on Blade Runner already.
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

md5 wrote:
Nikioko wrote:But what's up with FMV games like Gabriel Knight or Phantamagoria? Are those in scope?
Yes, they are Sierra SCI games, and there's active development on them, though it'll take awhile till they're supported
Great, thanks.
bobdevis wrote: Because not everybody likes/can run/has/wants the right version of Windows.

-There is a lot of stuff that runs fine on XP but breaks on Vista/7 64 bit. (And Vista/7 stuff will eventually break on a future Windows too)
Which does not apply to ToMI since the oldest episode isn't as old as half a year.
-If you are on OSX or Linux then getting Windows stuff running is a bother at best and a complete nightmare at worst.
Well, if you want to play, a pure Linux computer is just not the right choice. In that case you need to install both OSes. Virtual Boxes, VMWares or Vine are just for small applications rather than games that need all of your computer's resources. I know a lot of people that have a Windows installation just for gaming. i personally would appreciata more games running under Linux but apperently there is no market big enough to cover.
-If you have one of those hip new ARM netbooks then any Windows stuff is out of the question.
Again, then it is not the right computer. Since most people that have a notebook also own a desktop computer, they should use that one.
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

Well no, ToMI support is not going to happen any time soon due to practical and legal reasons but this is not the point.

What you are saying is that it is OK that you are obliged to pay Microsoft and Intel/AMD money when you want to play games on anything that resembles a PC, anywhere in the world. I don't want to go on a big rant here, but it should be obvious that this very much not cool for a lot of reasons.
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

bobdevis wrote:Well no, ToMI support is not going to happen any time soon due to practical and legal reasons but this is not the point.

What you are saying is that it is OK that you are obliged to pay Microsoft and Intel/AMD money when you want to play games on anything that resembles a PC, anywhere in the world. I don't want to go on a big rant here, but it should be obvious that this very much not cool for a lot of reasons.
Maybe it isn't cool, but it is reality at the moment like it or not. ScummVM is great, but it can't do everything. Microsoft is sort of like taxes; nobody likes paying them, but they aren't going away any time soon. I don't think he was saying it was "OK" as much as he was saying it is just the way things are.
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

KuroShiro wrote: Maybe it isn't cool, but it is reality at the moment like it or not. ScummVM is great, but it can't do everything. Microsoft is sort of like taxes; nobody likes paying them, but they aren't going away any time soon. I don't think he was saying it was "OK" as much as he was saying it is just the way things are.
You got me right. You cannot make an omelette without breaking eggs. At this point, almost no publisher feels obliged to add support for any other OS than windows. For some reason it is cheaper for them to pass on linux users rather than adding support for this OS. They are in the position to make you either buy and install the OS they support or just leave out the game. And it seems that it doesn't bother them if you don't buy the game, then. And why should they? 85 % of computer users do have Windows, at least as a secondary OS on a hybrid PC. 10 % have a MacOS which is also supported quite often, and the rest 5 % which have solely linux or an odd OS like OS/2 don't bother them, because adding support would cost much more the the sale would bring. And apart from that: which distribution should be supported? Kubuntu, SuSE, Gentoo or Debain?

So, what I am describing is what reality is like, not what I want. And the reality is: if I want to play a computer game, I will need to have a supported OS which isn't the case in 99% for Linux.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Operating system market share doesn't always translate to sales figures, though. If you're a small company, making an independent game, the Windows version will probably be just one game among many others, lots of them more well-known than yours.

For an example of this, see 2D Boy's Pay-What-You-Want Birthday Sale Results and Pay-What-You-Want Birthday Sale Wrap-up. The Windows version was still the most popular, but not by as much as might have been expected.

But I'm still not surprised so many games are released for Windows only.
The Spoony Hou

Post by The Spoony Hou »

bobdevis wrote:Use the search function on this forum. There has been quite some talk on Blade Runner already.
Well, the discussion I followed about a year ago didn't get anywhere. I'd just like to know if voxels are possible on ScummVM, but alright, I'll search around.