Monkey Island Music on Mac OSX

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

philip_harker

Monkey Island Music on Mac OSX

Post by philip_harker »

Help,

I am new to ScummVM and as such even after reading lots of other threads on music in Secret of Monkey Island I can still not get music in game. I have copied the audio files from the cd and encoded them as mp3. They have been renamed and saved in the same file as the game directory. In game I am getting sound effects, but no music, which leads me to believe that the sound driver is correct. Has anyone encountered this problem, I am running the The Monkey Island Bounty pack for Win 95, all the games work, just no music.

HELP! I love these games and I am enjoying playing them, but the music would make them even better
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Could you tell exactly which files are in the Secret of Monkey Island folder you've pointed ScummVM to?
philip_harker

Post by philip_harker »

Files in the monkey1 folder that scummvm is directed towards as follows:

adlib.ims
monkey.000
monkey.001
monkey.exe
monkey.ini
monkey.pif
roland.ims
soundblas.ims
speaker.ims

plus track1.mp3 to track24.mp3 which i copied from cd and encoded into mp3 format with i tunes.

Hope this is all you need
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

That sounds like it should work, though I haven't tried it with MP3 files myself for some time. I assume you've double-checked that this is the folder you pointed ScummVM to (i.e. that you didn't point it to some other folder with the game data files, but without the MP3 files), that that the MP3 files play like they should in a standalone player, and that there aren't any spaces in the file names.

(If you had been running Windows, I would have suggested that maybe the files were named track1.mp3.mp3 instead of track1.mp3, but I don't think OS X has that silly feature of hiding part of the file name.)
philip_harker

Post by philip_harker »

I have double checked the file location for the mp3 files and they are stored in the same folder as the game files, so scumm is looking in the right place. All the files play in itunes......i had forgotten how amusing some of the music is, and as you rightly mentioned, no double naming of file extension with Mac OSX.

Could one of the options in game edit / options need changing?
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Quite weird. I am using the same game under Mac OS X just fine. Are you using ScummVM 1.0.0?

What is the MD5 checksum of your monkey.000 and monkey.001 files?
Kisdra

Post by Kisdra »

Strange indeed, I'm running OS X too, and I've the .ogg soundtrack for PC and SegaCD versions, .mp3 for the Amiga version, and everything is working perfectly.

Perhaps you should try to download the soundtrack already prepared for ScummVM from some website (I recovered the Amiga soundtrack from World of MI, but I can't recall the link and can't find the page) ?
creator

Post by creator »

Its really a different problem after reading your post...