ScummVM change things in the games?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

jimbob0i0

ScummVM change things in the games?

Post by jimbob0i0 »

I didn't think things were changed but Red_Avatar seems pretty adamant in this thread at GoG...

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/general/gog_sci_and_scummvm

Are the claims true or false?
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Re: ScummVM change things in the games?

Post by LordHoto »

jimbob0i0 wrote:I didn't think things were changed but Red_Avatar seems pretty adamant in this thread at GoG...

It is true that the AGI seems to offer mouse support for DOS games too (taken from the AMIGA version), but his claims about music are just weird. I can get a PC Speaker track without any problems when setting up the game to use PC Speaker output, by default it will use the Tandy / PCJr output though.

I just compared against DOSBox, it seems the frequency of the notes is lower with ScummVM though, so the PC Speaker output seems not to be 100% exact. The Tandy / PCJr output is also not quite perfect... but there's at least a TODO for that (http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/AGI/T ... I_features)

AFAIK the AGI engine might not be the best example for this anyway, since as I heard Sarien (which is the project where our AGI engine comes from) was not perfect there either.

And anyway usually ScummVM does not feature (wild) extensions to the games as this guy claims. It is true that sometimes we do add workarounds for original game bugs etc. Or provide optional extensions like with the enhanced audio tracks. Or have (optional) enhancements like undithering in SCI (AFAIK). But actually I never heard about any place where we alter the game graphics (except the optional undithering in SCI).

Of course it is true that thus we are not "authentic" to the original, but well if you consider workarounds for game bugs a bad thing, because it doesn't make the game crash or do strange things... well just use DOSBox then ;-).
clone2727
Retired

Re: ScummVM change things in the games?

Post by clone2727 »

jimbob0i0 wrote:I didn't think things were changed but Red_Avatar seems pretty adamant in this thread at GoG...

False, of course. We have mouse support in AGI, which the Amiga versions of AGI did have. And we don't use AdLib sounds in AGI games...

EDIT: LordHoto was quicker at typing here than me :P
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

All I know is last time I checked the sound emulation in Sarien is awful. Sounds more like an Amiga than a Tandy 3-voice, which I guess was the point, but I'd still like to hear proper Tandy 3-voice eventually. Has that changed yet? Maybe I should try it...

EDIT: Nope. Still sounds like crap.
jimbob0i0

Post by jimbob0i0 »

Thought it sounded like a load of rubbish - thanks for the confirm.
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

Wait? What?
He is COMPLAINING that mouse support has been added in some cases?
I'm afraid you have been taken for a ride by a flame-baiter.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

bobdevis wrote:I'm afraid you have been taken for a ride by a flame-baiter.
Of course we knew it was a flame-baiter :P
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

Hmm.. Thnking about what else he could have complained about game a great idea.

Ballmouse Emulator!
When you turn it on, your mouse axes become less responsive in one direction by a small but random value. The effect gets worse as time goes by. You can reset the responsiveness by playing a cleaning mini-game.
This will be the the best ScummVM feature ever. Those pesky optical sensors are way to reliable for a nostalgic game experience.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

bobdevis wrote:Ballmouse Emulator!
What a crazy idea!
I bought my first optical mouse when they were still a curiosity for a reason. It was a serial mouse and it came with a special patterned mouse pad to work with. It sure was a great advantage in network games. :)
Besides this, I'm still amazed how reliable the old Commodore mice actually work. I never had any mechanical issues with those. And I have them still in use for Amiga and C64.
Muncher666

Post by Muncher666 »

Wait, does this mean you can play the Manhunter games without using keyboard input?!

Allan.